Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] error in uploading program in microchip PICKIT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikan07

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
while uploading hex file in pickit3,the target has been detected but face an error "Target device id(0x0) does not match expected device id(0x1200).
how can i fix this error??

This is typically because you have not connected the PicKit3 to the MCU correctly. Basically it means that the PicKit3 is sending out the clock and command signals but is not reading anythign back.
Common causes are adding extraneous components on the \MCLR\ line, swapping the PGC and PGD lines, not powering the MCU when you tell the PicKit3 that the device is self powered etc..
Check out the data sheet for the MCU and make sure that all connections are correct, and also check out the user guide for the PicKit3 as it shows how to connect properly.
Also what is the MCU you are using?
Susan

hi,
the MCU, i am using is pic18f4550.

With that device you do not need any other special hardware.
Check out Sections 25.7 and 25.9 in the MCUs data sheet. Make sure that you have both Vss pins connected and that ther are bypass capacitors on the Vdd pin.
Also check out Figure 2.4 in the Pickit3 User Guide.
I would suggest that you use 'target powered' configuration if the device is already connected to the rest of the circuit as the PicKit3 can only deliver a small amount of power and you may not be able to power the whole circuit with the 'debugger powered' configuration.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.