Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: to inspect & decap interior surface mounted capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor6799

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm not an engineer sorry but I wanted to post a question about surface mounted capacitors. Can't figure out which group to put my question.

re: [Moved]: inspecting & recapping interior surface mounted capacitors

Since you're asking about a physical capacitor package, the present section is suitable (Mechanical Engineering and Design).
Description on the forum home page:
"Mechanical engineering issues and different mechanical design techiques for your specific project ex. construction, metal works, cabinets, racks, crates, enclosures, front panels"

Since you're asking about a physical capacitor package, the present section is suitable (Mechanical Engineering and Design).
Description on the forum home page:
"Mechanical engineering issues and different mechanical design techiques for your specific project ex. construction, metal works, cabinets, racks, crates, enclosures, front panels"

Thank you. My question is can the capacitors as seen in the following picture be decaped ? Why to inspect the interior or inside.

image002.jpg

No, they cannot be decapped. They are MLCC and their dielectric is ceramic.

Why do you need to inspect the interior?

No, they cannot be decapped. They are MLCC and their dielectric is ceramic.

Why do you need to inspect the interior?

Then how can the interior be inspected for anomalies ? Something that should not be there such as a transceiver, antenna and front end that sort of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

SLK001 so they cannot be decapped can they be broken open with a sharp cutting tool like a utility knife ?

Re: [Moved]: inspecting & recapping interior surface mounted capacitors

Then how can the interior be inspected for anomalies ?

SLK001 so they cannot be decapped can they be broken open with a sharp cutting tool like a utility knife ?

You can pot them in epoxy and then slowly grind them down to nothing (stopping every 5-10 thousandths of an inch to photograph). Your better approach would be to replace them one-by-one, then test for the anomalies.

Are you saying that you suspect a miniature transceiver is being placed inside one of your capacitors?

Re: [Moved]: inspecting & recapping interior surface mounted capacitors

You can pot them in epoxy and then slowly grind them down to nothing (stopping every 5-10 thousandths of an inch to photograph). Your better approach would be to replace them one-by-one, then test for the anomalies.

Are you saying that you suspect a miniature transceiver is being placed inside one of your capacitors?

Not in just mine but at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back