Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Cost MRI Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

14beemfarooq

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project in which i want to replace the conventional MRI machines to a low-cost MRI machine using low power electro-magnets and non-linear image processing.If any of you guys have expertise in this domain please comment on the feasibility and scope of project.

Define what you mean by 'low cost'.
Not really my field but I'm guessing the need for the high power magnetic fields of a conventional MRI is because they are needed to align the H2O hydrogen protons in the first place before the proton spins are altered by the RF field.
If there are technological advances which allow you to create the magnetic fields using lower power electromagnets, or you have some other way to use the laws of physics to align the protons then you may succeed.
The image processing is another story.
Susan

Define what you mean by 'low cost'.
Not really my field but I'm guessing the need for the high power magnetic fields of a conventional MRI is because they are needed to align the H2O hydrogen protons in the first place before the proton spins are altered by the RF field.
If there are technological advances which allow you to create the magnetic fields using lower power electromagnets, or you have some other way to use the laws of physics to align the protons then you may succeed.
The image processing is another story.
Susan
There is a paper of MIT on using permanent magnets for MRI . A company name BRUKER actually made a pre-clinical version of MRI using Permanent magnets.

I don't think it matters if the magnets are permanent or electromagnets as far as the operation of the MRI machine is concerned; the issue is the strength of the magnetic field.
However, using permanent magnets means that you always have to contend with a very strong magnetic field while you are setting things up - so be careful not to take items too close or there will not be a way to remove them.
At least with electromagnets, the magnetic field is only there when the machine is actually operating.
Susan

This is the Bruker device, its not a big medical device....
**broken link removed**

Using permanent magnets on a full size device for a hospital etc. is a no no, there are restrictions on entering areas where high power magnets are used, for a hospital it would be impractical. Best to use electro magnets then when there is no patient present people can enter the room, set things up etc. with no problems.

The considerations about electro magnets don't actually fit for recent medical MRI instruments. They are exclusively using supra conducting magnets, which can't be switched on and off at will. The main point is achievable field strength and object volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.