Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a recommendation for a volume control knob please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyheathhays

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Complete novice here, and I'm trying to figure out what little volume control knob I need to splice into this wire here...

buzzer 1.JPG

...in order to control the volume of the speaker on this 2 C cell powered alarm device. This is part of a 2 unit warning system where one box is the motion sensor, and the one pictured is the remote alarm. When viewed from the outside of the box (through the protective vents), the speaker appears to be made of copper foil.

I have no clue what to look for even if the part was described to me, so would someone please be kind enough to provide a link for a small volume control knob I could splice in that would be appropriate for this application. Ideally I'd like to drill a small hole and mount it so the knob protrudes through to the outside of the plastic box.

Thanks!

I'm afraid you probably can't use one. That isn't a 'speaker' in the conventional sense, it's a piezo ceramic resonator that is shaped to make a particular tone. The volume is largely decided by the shape of the plastic cavity it sits in.

If you want to try a volume control, accepting it may not work, visit any electronic component supplier and ask for a "10K potentiometer", they come in many shapes and sizes so pick one aesthetically best for your needs. They have 3 pins, just cut ONE of the green wires to the piezo, and wire one side to the middle tag of the potentiometer and the other wire to one of the outer tags. It doesn't matter which outer tag you use but try both, one at a time because you may find one gives smoother control of the volume.

Brian.

Hey Brian thanks for the advice but sorry for being so long getting back here. Too many irons in the fire lately.

I've also been suggested to get a 1k potentiometer as well, so I'll be trying that along with the 10k and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back