+ Post New Thread
    Member level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

how to track the filenames that are moving to another location ?

Hello,

A directory contains 100 files and a folder with 10 files. For some task, i have to move all 10 files to sit along with 100 files, by using command as:

mv ./directory/folder/*.v ./directory.

After perfoming my task on all these 110 files. i want to move processed 10 files (that i bought) to their original location without mentioning filenames explicitly.

how can i do this ? I think i have to track those file names initially and use that info back again afterwards. but help me with some syntax.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3592 / 3592
    Level

Re: how to track the filenames that are moving to another location ?

Hi,

Why not COPY instead of MOVE? Then the files remain in the original location.

In either case you could PIPE the std output of the MOVE (COPY) into a file. Then you have the file names safed and can process them later.

Klaus

•   AltAdvertisement

Member level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: how to track the filenames that are moving to another location ?

Quote Originally Posted by KlausST View Post
    Hi,

Why not COPY instead of MOVE? Then the files remain in the original location.

In either case you could PIPE the std output of the MOVE (COPY) into a file. Then you have the file names safed and can process them later.

Klaus
    after adding those 10 files (human readable) to 100 files(human readable). all 110 files content will get changed and become "machine readable but not human readable." At this time, i suppose to move machine readable 10 files to original location.

Hope i am clear now.

--[[ ]]--