Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control TRIAC gate with controlled pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew_it

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Immagine.jpg

Hi everytone,
I have that circuit, an AC-DC rectifier with a TRIAC.
Up to now I control the gate of the triac with a pulse generator conveniently set up in order to avoid that the capacitor break initially.
I should design a gate controller for TRIAC that change the period proportionally to the reduction of the current. We know that as the capacitor charge increase, the current decrease.
I'd like to mantain the current constant with controlling the on/off of the triac so that the capacitor will charge fastly. For example a comparator and a proportional pulse generator.
Is it possible? It does make sense?

Thanks.

Andrea

Yes as long as your pulse is synchronized with the AC waveform's zero crossing.

I see that you have added an inductor to the output. As the Triacs, like all thyristors are zero-current commutated, that inductor will increase the total conduction time, which may be different to what intended. Just make sure to test properly.

Hi,
Yeah. I had the idea of the zero crossing circuit too.
The problem is that I't like to "see" and adjust the variation of the current proportionally to the charge of the capacitor. In other words I should have a pretty constant current my anticipate proportionally the zero crossing trigger and so the on/off of the triac.
For the inductance is not actually the problem, I can in a first simulation remove.

Immagine.jpg

That's the simulation of current out of triac and voltage across capacitors.
I want to regulate the triac on/off to have current pretty costant.
I hope you understand the point.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.