Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldermask for vias and holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

maormat4

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
If my PCB goes to manufacture, i need to put soldrmask on vias and holse? if yes whats the width of the solermask?

Thank you

Hi,

What's the idea behind a solder on a via?

Soler (specified with the solder mask) usually is only on SMD pads.
Solder mask layer is used to produce the stencil.

Klaus

Thank you,
and if the board is in development stage i need to do soldermask on vias?
and one more question, lets say i have to do distance between pads of 14 mil, so it means that i need to do 14 mils between the soldermasks of the pads or the pads itself?

Hi,

Are you sure?

Maybe you mean stop mask?

But if you really think you need it, then just do it.
We don't know if it is in development stage or not.

But solder on vias is quite unusual.

Added:
Distance. 14 mils.. where do you have this value from. I'd say 4 mils (or similar) is more useful.
If there is a pad distance, then use it with the copper pads, not the solder.

The solder openings are usually smaller than the copper pads. So the distance is wider.

Klaus

Solder mask on vias is not that unusual, we had a BIG thread regarding it a couple of years ago, and generally most don't care either way, cover them, don't cover them, leave a little opening for the drill, it does not seem to make any difference. Try to look up the thread it was informative.

Hi,

Now I see, there is a misunderstanding. My fault.
I thought of solder paste on vias,
but you thought about the - often green - solder resist for wave soldering. And indeed it´s called "solder mask".

Yes it is discussed frequently. See the box below "Similar threads".
There are pros and cons.

Sorry for the confusion.

Klaus

I tend to use an opening just bigger than the drilled hole, so I get as much coverage of solder mask as possible, without the actual drilled hole being covered. As said though I have also had them completely covered, as todays modern assembly techniques means that you are not usually covering the whole of the board with flux, contamination is not a big a problem as it use to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back