Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powerfull Ultrasonic driver circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunme

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have powerfull ultrasonic tranducers for 20kh to 80kh, need to build driver board
can we use 555 timer to drive it?

how the high excitation produced to drive it?
I am attaching two schematics from net, kindly help me in building the driver

edaboard1.jpg edaboard.jpg

Both of those circuits are for driving tiny ultrasonic transmitters and the first circuit in particular is very inefficient, the second isn't much better.

You need to give us some specification for the transducer, is it voltage driven like the one in the circuit, in which case it is probably a ceramic piezo unit or is it current driven like a loudspeaker? The amplifier design can't be decided without knowing what it drives. Piezo might need several hundred volts at low current, dynamic might need low voltage but several Amps.

Brian.

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It is a high power transducer, of the order of 100W

excitation voltage:1000 V
Frequency (KHz) 30
Resonance Impedance (Ω) 10-25
Static Capacity (pF)±10% 5000
Input Power (W) 100

can this circuit work?

12vac-to-220vac-inverter-circuit.jpg

You are thinking FAR too small.

Even with a 15V supply it would draw around 12 Amps (~35A at 5V), that's twice the absolute maximum for transistors as small as TIP41/TIP42.
The transformer appears to be a standard power type for 50Hz/60Hz and there would be zero chance of it working at 20KHz and even less at 80KHz, you would need a custom ferrite transformer to work at those frequencies.

I would think in terms of a high current/voltage bridged amplifier feeding a resonant tuned circuit. If you need 20KHz to 80KHz it would be very difficult to maintain resonance but if you stay at 30KHz it becomes practical.

Brian.

varunme

So by changing TIP41/ TIP42 to high current one it will solve the power requirement

I have to build a circuit that can work from 20khz to 100khz, so its not possible with this method by changing the transformer to ferrite?

How can I implement that?

Last edited:

I'm saying the design at the moment might produce 0.1W if you were lucky, just using bigger transistors won't help because you still need more base current than an NE555 can produce. Fitting big tires to a small car doesn't turn it into a racer!

Achieving such a wide frequency range is not easy, the normal method to raise the voltage to 1KV is by using resonant inductive circuits but 'resonant' implies a peak at one frequency, making it tunable would be difficult. You need to reconsider the whole idea and think on a much bigger scale, possibly using several high power (100W+) amplifiers. You will never achieve it using a simple transistor pair.

Brian.

varunme

MD1712 can be used?

- - - Updated - - -

100khz audio amplifier will work? can we make exciation voltage of 1000V with audio amplifier?

- - - Updated - - -

lm3524 based amplifier can be used?

PA98EE can be used?

MD1712 - yes, but note that it needs external power drivers.
LM3524 - no, it's a PWM power supply controller.
PA98EE - possibly but note it needs 450V supply and the health warning about the substrate material.

Even with the PA98EE you still need to more than double the output voltage. Commercial circuits use resonant circuits, balancing the transducers capacitance with suitable inductors to generate enough voltage but that fixes the frequency so you can't tune it.

If you want a broad bandwidth high voltage, high power output you could do it by connecting the transducer across the output of a bridge amplifier. The amp would still have to run from ~500V supply and I would suggest using driver transformers to the gates/bases of the output transistor to provide safety isolation. Driving the amplifiers with one signal inverted would in theory produce 1KV AC over a fairly wide frequency range.

Brian.

varunme

Status
Not open for further replies.