Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a good online calcultor for designing transformers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Cuino

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I need to design a customized high frequency transformer for my flyback power converter. I wonder if there is a calculator somewhere that can recommend me the parameters based on the input and output characteristics I offer?

I know this could be a complete shot in the dark, but I think I'll try to see if people know one. Thanks!

You may want to take a look at this free SMPS designer which I believe it designs the whole system and seems to design transformer as well ( I have not used it, just read a bit about it).Looks like it is free :grin:
https://www.poweresim.com/

You sound like you need powerint.com
(Power Integrations)
They have the PI Expert software, it basically does the lot for you.

i dont think the depth of service that you seek is offered anywhere,.... when you do a tranformer manufacture document, you have to get the wire size tables out and the mech diagrams for the former etc etc and slog through it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

AN18 is flyback design guide..(attached)

- - - Updated - - -

Also attached is a transformer manufacture spec document......some of them are for flyback....hang on, oops, its a word document and i am struggling to attach it here...it (edaboard website) keeps telling me "invalid file"...ok done it, it seems edaboard doesnt like .docx files?..i changed it to .doc and it attached

- - - Updated - - -

and then have the AE value, flux density etc. suggested or calculated so I can feed them to my custom transformer supplier.
Only you know what peak flux value your transformer, in your application, in your useage environment , at whatever ambient temperature, that your transformer can handle…there is nobody in the world that can do this for you…..unless you go to a power supply design consultancy, but then, how do you know they’ve done the job properly?
I mean usually for flyback the peak flux is allowed to go up to 300mT or so…..but that’s just a guide.
You have to pick peak flux and delta_B that will not saturate core and not cause too much core losses……the ferrite datasheet should indicate what your core losses will be…or it will give you info from which you calculate this….such as frequency vs core loss for given flux swing.

Attachments

• an18.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Transformer manufacture specs__.doc
    440.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.