Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio ground with single supply LM358 non-inverting

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I am creating a non inverting amplifier with a single 12V supply and I am biasing the audio input at 9V, so that it swings between 12V and 6V, then what should I be connecting the audio input GND line? Should it be GND in my op amp circuit or 9V?

Hi,

if your supply is 0V/12V, then it´s usual to connect audio GND with 0V of the supply.

...so that it swings between 12V and 6V...

Mind that LM358 common_mode_input_voltage_range is 0..V+ -1.5V. So if V+ = 12V then it can only operate with input voltages less than 10.5V.

Why that unsymmetric? Why not 12V/2 = 6V?

Klaus

I am inputing it to a 555 CV pin and i read that it was biased to 2/3 Vcc or 9V in my case.

So 9V should be my 0V for the audio signal, and it should swing from 12V to 6V.

So I biased the audio signal at 1/3 of 12V = 9V.

So it had me thinking for a moment whether or not input audio ground should be 0V or 9V.

With audio from my desktop PC audio plug x11 amplification seems to work well with a speaker attached via a TCC4422 and a FET.

The sound quality seems very good for a crude setup. It has not been as successful when my input audio was biased at 0V or what ever.

THe COntrol pin is biased at 2/3 or 9V in your case and the modulation should be limited to 10% above and below 9V, so it should NOT be used as an audio ground for a single supply source.
The Threshold input should also be centered in this range.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back