Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIM808 (ATE0) echo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravinl

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am new to all of this. I am a student.I have been trying to interface SIM808 with PIC18f4580.I tried to debug the code using PICkit3 debugger. I sent (ATE0) command to turn OFF echo mode after sending (AT) command. I am using LCD to display the response from SIM808.
The problem is whatever I sent is getting back i.e., ECHO mode is not turning OFF.
For transmitting I used the below function:
void tx_data(unsigned char serial_data) // Transmit data function
{
while(PIR1bits.TXIF==0);
TXREG=serial_data;
}
For receiving I used the below function:
void interrupt SerialRxPinInterrupt()
{
while(!PIR1bits.RCIF);
data[j]= RCREG; // Store the data into array when Reception interrupt occurs
j++;
}
When I send "AT", the LCD should display "OK" instead it displays "AT".
Plz help me with this.I have been trying this for 2 weeks. I will rejoice if I get a quick response.
Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Also when I am sending data from PIC to SIM808,first two characters are properly sent.After that TXIF(=0x00) flag is remaining CLEARED for a long time.The TXIF flag is taking a lot of time to get SET(0x01) after first two characters of sending data.

When I send "AT", the LCD should display "OK" instead it displays "AT".
Presume "AT" is the echo, but are you sending AT followed by carriage return.?

The TXIF flag is taking a lot of time to get SET(0x01) after first two characters of sending data.
TXIF will be asserted after the first character is send, takes some time depending on the baud rate.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am just sending AT first without any carriage return and then after a delay of about 3 seconds I sent ATEO.
I set baudrate at 9600.

Hi,
I am trying to connect SIM808 module to PC using BF-810 USB to Serial Adapter(DB9). I am using TERMITE v2.6 for checking the SIM808 functioning. The PC is detecting the USB but the SIM module is not responding to the sent AT commands.

I am trying to connect SIM808 module to PC using BF-810 USB to Serial Adapter(DB9).
I presume the SIM808 module has TTL level interface, not RS-232 level of DB9. Can't work and potentially damages the module.

Can I use REES52 New USB 2.0 to TTL UART Module 5Pin Serial Converter STC Replace FT232 Module 5pin Cables CP2102 STC instead of MAX232 and USB to serial connector

Any USB-to-TTL UART bridge should work. Check if your SIM808 board tolerates 5V level or must be driven with 3V UART.

SIM808 supports 3-5v logic level and input voltage ranges from 5 to 10v

Hi,

SIM808 supports 3-5v logic level and input voltage ranges from 5 to 10v
I doubt this. Where did you read it?
SIM808 hardware manual tells different values.

Klaus

i have seen the input voltage level in AND technologies SIM808 pdf.I don't know clearly about logic voltage.But when I provided 5v input for SIM808, I detected around 2.8v at R,T pins of (UART)SIM808 module

Can you please provide the link where I can see the correct details of SIM808

Hi,

A simple internet search gives this result:
**broken link removed**

Klaus

Thank you for that.
I am trying to use MAX232CPE for connecting SIM808 with RS232.
I tried to use 10uF (electrolytic) but the circuit heated quickly and also its UART output is above 5v. But the SM808 UART pins require less than 3v.
Which capacitors do you specify? and also electrolytic or ceramic?

I tried to use 10uF (electrolytic) but the circuit heated quickly and also its UART output is above 5v. But the SM808 UART pins require less than 3v.
Obviously doing something completely wrong. MAX232 should never heat up, neither with electrolytic nor ceramic C. MAX232 needs 1 µF minimum, but should work with 10 µF as well. Correct capacitor polarity according to datasheet.

RS232 pins will show about 10V for 5V MAX232, TTL pins not more than 5V. But to operate with 3 or 3.3V UART, you need a 3.3V version of MAX232, e.g. MAX3232.

Can I connect PIC18f4580 UART with UART of SIM808(BK808)?
The PIC Txd pin shows 5v at transmission and at idle it shows around 2.6v and the Rxd shows 2.8v at receiving and at idle it shows 0v.
While SIM808 TX and RX are around 2.8v. The SIM808 is properly working except its echoing back what I am sending.

Hi,
I am using PIC18F board(http://elementzonline.com/pic/development-boards-166).
For SIM808 board (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-band-GSM-GPRS-Module/605000_32435607442.html).
The details of SIM808 are given in(**broken link removed**).

The PIC board can supply 5v to 8 external components.I provided 8-10vDC to the PIC board.The 7805 supplies 5v to the PIC controller.

The TEST pins(1,2) of SIM808 are showing correct values(3.8v,2.8v respectively) which made think that the SIM808 is working properly.The SIM808's recommended input voltage(PWRIN) is 5v (but ranges from 5-10v).

I connected Txd pin of PIC to Rxd of SIM808 directly and Rxd pin of PIC to Txd of SIM808.

The code snippet I used to send AT commands from PIC to SIM808 is:

Code:
unsigned char *at_cmd = "AT";
unsigned char *echo_off = "ATE0";
unsigned char *act_pro = "AT&W";
unsigned char *imei_cmd = "AT+GSN"; (and initialized some other AT commands in same format)
gsm_cmd(at_cmd);
__delay_ms(1000);
gsm_cmd(echo_off);
__delay_ms(1000);
gsm_cmd(act_pro);
__delay_ms(1000);
gsm_cmd(imei_cmd);
__delay_ms(1000);
unsigned char *sms_format = "AT+CMGF=1";void gsm_cmd(unsigned char *string)
/*{
    i=0;j=0;
    while(string!='\0')
    {
        if(string==0x5C) // Not to send '\' character
            i++;
        tx_data(string); // Send by serial communication
        i++;
    }
    tx_data(enter); // Send ASCII code for 'Enter' key(enter=0x0A) */
I am calling gsm_cmd function at whenever it is required for instance at the beginning, to set the SIM808's baud rate, I call function as gsm_cmd("AT")
Next AT commands in the *string, in sequence are "ATE0, AT&W, AT+GSN, AT+CMGF=1, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

0x0A = new line
0x0D = CarriageReturn = Enter

Please check what your modem expects. (Again reading datasheets.)
(Some systems expect 0x0D followed by 0x0A)

Klaus

Hi, Thank you.
Here are the PIC configuration settings:
Code:
#include "p18f4580.h"
#include "xc.h"
#include "htc.h"
#include "stdio.h"
#include "string.h"
#include "stdlib.h"
// #include <delays.h>
#define FREQ 12000000
#define baud 9600
#define spbrg_value (((FREQ/64)/baud)-1)

unsigned char ctrl_z=0x1A; // terminate msg
unsigned char enter=0x0D; // carriage return
unsigned char l_feed=0x0A; // line feed
volatile unsigned char *data;

// PIC18F4580 Configuration Bit Settings

// 'C' source line config statements

#include <xc.h>

// #pragma config statements should precede project file includes.
// Use project enums instead of #define for ON and OFF.

// CONFIG1H
#pragma config OSC = XT         // Oscillator Selection bits (XT oscillator)
#pragma config FCMEN = OFF      // Fail-Safe Clock Monitor Enable bit (Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled)
#pragma config IESO = OFF       // Internal/External Oscillator Switchover bit (Oscillator Switchover mode disabled)

// CONFIG2L
#pragma config PWRT = OFF       // Power-up Timer Enable bit (PWRT disabled)
#pragma config BOREN = BOHW     // Brown-out Reset Enable bits (Brown-out Reset enabled in hardware only (SBOREN is disabled))
#pragma config BORV = 3         // Brown-out Reset Voltage bits (VBOR set to 2.1V)

// CONFIG2H
#pragma config WDT = OFF        // Watchdog Timer Enable bit (WDT disabled (control is placed on the SWDTEN bit))
#pragma config WDTPS = 32768    // Watchdog Timer Postscale Select bits (1:32768)

// CONFIG3H
#pragma config PBADEN = ON      // PORTB A/D Enable bit (PORTB<4:0> pins are configured as analog input channels on Reset)
#pragma config LPT1OSC = OFF    // Low-Power Timer 1 Oscillator Enable bit (Timer1 configured for higher power operation)
#pragma config MCLRE = ON       // MCLR Pin Enable bit (MCLR pin enabled; RE3 input pin disabled)

// CONFIG4L
#pragma config STVREN = ON      // Stack Full/Underflow Reset Enable bit (Stack full/underflow will cause Reset)
#pragma config LVP = OFF        // Single-Supply ICSP Enable bit (Single-Supply ICSP disabled)
#pragma config BBSIZ = 1024     // Boot Block Size Select bit (1K words (2K bytes) boot block)
#pragma config XINST = OFF      // Extended Instruction Set Enable bit (Instruction set extension and Indexed Addressing mode disabled (Legacy mode))

// CONFIG5L
#pragma config CP0 = OFF        // Code Protection bit (Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not code-protected)
#pragma config CP1 = OFF        // Code Protection bit (Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not code-protected)
#pragma config CP2 = OFF        // Code Protection bit (Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not code-protected)
#pragma config CP3 = OFF        // Code Protection bit (Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not code-protected)

// CONFIG5H
#pragma config CPB = OFF        // Boot Block Code Protection bit (Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not code-protected)
#pragma config CPD = OFF        // Data EEPROM Code Protection bit (Data EEPROM not code-protected)

// CONFIG6L
#pragma config WRT0 = OFF       // Write Protection bit (Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRT1 = OFF       // Write Protection bit (Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRT2 = OFF       // Write Protection bit (Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRT3 = OFF       // Write Protection bit (Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not write-protected)

// CONFIG6H
#pragma config WRTC = OFF       // Configuration Register Write Protection bit (Configuration registers (300000-3000FFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRTB = OFF       // Boot Block Write Protection bit (Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRTD = OFF       // Data EEPROM Write Protection bit (Data EEPROM not write-protected)

// CONFIG7L
#pragma config EBTR0 = OFF      // Table Read Protection bit (Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks)
#pragma config EBTR1 = OFF      // Table Read Protection bit (Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks)
#pragma config EBTR2 = OFF      // Table Read Protection bit (Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks)
#pragma config EBTR3 = OFF      // Table Read Protection bit (Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks)

// CONFIG7H
#pragma config EBTRB = OFF      // Boot Block Table Read Protection bit (Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks)

The interrupt function SerialRxPinInterrupt() is automatically activated when there is any incoming at Rxd pin. The RCREG contents are stored in the string data[]. It is used in writing to LCD.
void gsm_cmd(unsigned char *string)
{
    i=0;j=0;
    while(string!='\0')
    {
        if(string==0x5C) // Not to send '\' character
            i++;
        tx_data(string); // Send by serial communication
        i++;
    }
    tx_data(enter);
}