Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: finding overall transconductance of OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooterskull

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I measure the transconductance (gm) of the overall circuit? I need to find out how gm varies with common mode input voltage. I have attached a schematic of the circuit that I wish to measure. shcematic.JPG

From what I know, I am supposed to sweep Vin and find Iout. Then I should use dIout/dVin. However, I am unable to get a gm vs vcm curve that I think is correct. Am I supposed to sweep in AC voltage using the Vcm as a DC biasing point?

I am using Cadence and I am not very familiar with it. So if you guys are able to give me the calculator functions thats even better. Thanks!

Re: finding overall transconductance of OTA

Do a DC sweep by varying Vin and monitoring Iout. Than take dIout/dVin.

Doing AC sim will only give small signal gm around your operating point.

Re: finding overall transconductance of OTA

Do a DC sweep by varying Vin and monitoring Iout. Than take dIout/dVin.

Doing AC sim will only give small signal gm around your operating point.

Hi deba. I understand that concept. However, since the load is a cap, there is no output current across the load if I run it on DC. My professor has given me two other options, one of which is to replace the capacitive load with a very high resistive load, say 1T ohm. Then I would measure the current across the resistor.

He also told me I could put a voltage source also Vin at the Vo. In this case, I would measure the current through the voltage source.

However, in both these cases, he told me to put the OTA as a voltage follower instead of floating the Vo. Is this correct? From my understanding, I thought Vp and Vn should be tied together and Vo floating. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back