Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion for right selection of ultrasonic transducers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am now trying to build a non invasive flow rate sensor. I used RKI-1089 followed by a filter,amplifier and buffer. The circuit is working perfectly and the receiver is receiving the signal. But the transmitted ultrasonic signal @ 40 khz cannot penetrate even a bottle though we provide high gain when we amplify it. I am now looking for ultrasonic sensor which can actually transmit the signal through pipes. Can any one suggest a sensor module for that or an alternative solution for this??

Liquid or gaseous medium? Clamp-on ultrasonic flow liquid meters are available as commercial products, you can be sure that the method is feasible. They are however using much higher ultrasonic frequencies, e.g. several MHz. There are no ready made transducers available as far as I'm aware of, particularly not for pipe clamp-on mount.

Gaseous media ultrasonic measurement will hardly work in through-wall/clamp-on configuration, due to many orders of magnitude in acoustic impedance ratio wall material versus gas.

Reactions: Yadu

Yadu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Try if this one fits your needs... and wallet ----> **broken link removed**.

There is several other industrial vendors too.

Liquid or gaseous medium? Clamp-on ultrasonic flow liquid meters are available as commercial products, you can be sure that the method is feasible. They are however using much higher ultrasonic frequencies, e.g. several MHz. There are no ready made transducers available as far as I'm aware of, particularly not for pipe clamp-on mount.

Gaseous media ultrasonic measurement will hardly work in through-wall/clamp-on configuration, due to many orders of magnitude in acoustic impedance ratio wall material versus gas.

Thank you so much sir for your reply.
I am working for liquid medium. I came across a clam on liquid meter that work @ 1 Mhz in the following link. But cannot find it in any of the online shopping sites.

https://www.nivus.com/en/products/f...ly-polluted-media/sensors/nic-clamp-on-sensor

Try if this one fits your needs... and wallet ----> **broken link removed**.

There is several other industrial vendors too.

Thank you sir for your reply. But we are looking for a sensor module alone rather than the whole flow meter.

But we are looking for a sensor module alone rather than the whole flow meter.
Realistically, you need to learn about the transducers physics and make your own design, that's what the metering companies do.
Piezoceramic discs and cylinders are available from several companies.

Reactions: Yadu

Yadu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Realistically, you need to learn about the transducers physics and make your own design, that's what the metering companies do.
Piezoceramic discs and cylinders are available from several companies.

But sir, How can we know the required specifications to manufacture such a sensor so that it can transmit ultrasonic signals through pipes? Can you suggest us some areas where we have to look in to so that we can have a beginning in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help!

But sir, How can we know the required specifications to manufacture such a sensor so that it can transmit ultrasonic signals through pipes?
How did the designers of ultrasonic instruments on the market know? They studied physics, text books, articles, made their own experiments to understand how it works. Others learned from existing designs, copied it in part, possibly improved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.