Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using triode tubes as diode tubes for rectification

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am building a small AM TX attached.
I would like to replace the diodes with tube rectifiers (semiconductor-free), whereas I need to keep the power transformer simple (no center tap).

There as three options without a center tap, I am aware of:
1. A half wave rectifier (too much ripple)
2. A full wave bridge rectifier (it must use 4 tubes)
3. A full wave voltage doubler (it uses just two tubes)

I like thw 3rd option, but there are no dual diode rectifier tubes, with separate cathodes, that can provide around 27mA or so for both sections of the 6cq8. So I have to use two separate tubes.

Now, I am thinking if a dual triode tube, can be used for the purpose, like the ecc83 etc. If so, how should the grids be connected (just left them floating?)
If this can work, how about use their grids for regulating the HV as well, this will double their use.

Please let me know if my thoughts are correct. Any available information on the topic?

Attachments

• doubler.PNG
    doubler.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 6CQ8 xmtr r1.PNG
    6CQ8 xmtr r1.PNG
    120.8 KB · Views: 440

Connect the grids to the cathode directly.
One thing of concern, though, as both heaters are not independent and will be electrically connected together, that you do not exceed the cathode-heater breakdown voltage.

This thread should be moved to the retro - electronics area.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Connect the grids to the cathode directly.

Don't you think these triodes will drop a lot of voltage? Rectifiers are designed to minimize the series loss. However, only 165v are needed and the voltage doubler with the back to back 220v-to-6.3v transformers I am thinking to use, will provide much more than enough headroom for big voltage drop.

The voltage drop will be quite small but a diode is still a better choice.

Why are you using 'back to back transformers' ?

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Why are you using 'back to back transformers' ?

Brian.
two 220v-6v transformers are readily available in most electronics shops. Isolation transformers or HV and/or CT are rarer nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.