Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiples VHDL processes reading from one file

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

In a VHDL simulation, is it possible for more than one process to open the same file in read mode ?

I'm sure I don't know the answer to this one; I'd just try it. It might depend on your operating system.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I actually think most OS don't allow opening the same file multiple times. I've never seen anything like this done in VHDL or Verilog add I know for a fact that it doesn't work in Verilog (accidentally tried to open the same file twice because of a cut-n-paste error). Just try it out, but I don't think it will work.

shaiko

I actually think most OS don't allow opening the same file multiple times.
Windows does...
Just try to open a simple .txt file with notepad and notepad++ for example.

Windows does...
Just try to open a simple .txt file with notepad and notepad++ for example.

That is likely because it keeps a local copy of the file in memory and only writes the file when it actually does a save, and not holding the file open all the time.
Your original question is something you could have found out much quicker if you'd have just set up a small example yourself.

Why not just open a file into an array then access the array in more than 1 place?

shaiko

Status
Not open for further replies.