Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Blaster altera programming error "Unable to scan device chain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsm9692

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello I m new to this
i have brought altera USB Blaster to program altera IC.
i have one usb blaster altera and some altera ics part no EPM7160SLI84-10N
when i select auto detect in Quartus II some IC detects but for some IC error comes like

"Unable to scan device chain.Can't find Jtag chain.Do u want to open the JTAG chain Debugger to troubleshoot the JTAG chain"

What is reason for this?

please provide detail how to program IC.

What board are you using ?

The message is pretty clear. It means JTAG chain not working.
Possible reason, device not powered, not properly connected or defective. In case of MAX7000S series, the JTAG interface might have been disabled. If so, you need a parallel programmer to reprogram the device.

If the device not powered, not properly connected or defective it show for all ICs. i have IC part no EPM7160SLI84-10N quanity 10 out of which 4 are detecting and other 6 are not detceting. why this happens.

Why should it be impossible that 4 out of 10 ICs are defective? Or it's an unsuitable JTAG circuit with marginal parameters.

Measuring the JTAG signal levels and waveforms would be next.

Generally, lack of information:
- ICs new or used?
- application circuit?

All IC are NEW.. . .

i have 2 usb blaster. that 4 IC are detecting in both USb balster but other 6 are not detecting.

I am new to this plaese provide inforamtion how to read program using altera usb blaster, Quartus II software

Hi,

It detects some ICs. Are these detected ICs correct?

I´m asking because....Afaik they are detected by sending a known sequence of bits through the JTAG chain and the programmer (software) checks the output of the chain.
Each IC may have a different count of bits latency. Maybe all ICs are working properly but the programmer just interprets the reciving data wrongly.
The idea that it wrongly interpretes the latency of two ICs as one larger latency of a single IC.

Is it possible to "force" the device chain to the programmer instead of "self detect"?

Klaus

Re: USB Blaster altera programming error "Unable to scan device chain"

All IC are NEW.. . .

New from an authorized distributor, or "new" parts from some internet site.
FYI, there are a lot of grey market parts out there, it's a lucrative buisness that caters to people's desire to get something for nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can force all 1's through the JTAG chain you can get a readout of all the IDCODES of the parts. Does the tool report the idcodes read from the parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back