Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Some advice to write verilog code for CAM memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan86

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to write verilog code for CAM memory. For RAM memory it was easy, just need define ram and i = i+1 in loop to access all address and content. But here i should match data input with data memory,
but I cant find optimize solution to search content at first and then find address.
I mean below code, but this one its not optimize and i dont like to use for loop.
Code:
for (i =0; i < DEPTH; i+1)
if (data_IN == ram[i]) then
valid = 1; // data input match with data in memory
address = i;
else 
valid = 0;
for example data input its 8 bits and depth = 100;
I will appreciate for any advice.
Thanks for your consideration.

Hi, I want to write verilog code for CAM memory. For RAM memory it was easy, just need define ram and i = i+1 in loop to access all address and content. But here i should match data input with data memory,
but I cant find optimize solution to search content at first and then find address.
I mean below code, but this one its not optimize and i dont like to use for loop.
Code:
for (i =0; i < DEPTH; i+1)
if (data_IN == ram[i]) then
valid = 1; // data input match with data in memory
address = i;
else 
valid = 0;
for example data input its 8 bits and depth = 100;
I will appreciate for any advice.
Thanks for your consideration.

CAMs usually don't work like that. it seems you are trying to use a RAM that emulates a CAM behaviour. when using a true CAM, you query it once, and the query goes to every single 'address'. you don't need to loop through.

How I can query once ?
because in one single clk, I just can compare input with one data in memory. however i have a lot of data in memory.

How I can query once ?
because in one single clk, I just can compare input with one data in memory. however i have a lot of data in memory.

you describing a traditional RAM, not a CAM.

Your example seems to imply that for each data word, there's either zero or one matching address.
That's a trivial CAM case, you can implement it using a regular RAM and interchange data and addresses.

A useful CAM has zero to many matching addresses for a specific content. It can't be implemented with regular RAM and single clock cycle access.

you describing a traditional RAM, not a CAM.

The problem is that CAMs do not exist in FPGA, so they have to be emulated.

To the OP: your code will not work for an FPGA because it uses a for loop, as if it is a software program. For an FPGA, you need to loop through the addresses using a counter, not a for loop. Or you could try just swapping the address and data lines.

tanks for your advice.for first of my work, i try this cod. its not complete. I put 100 number in memory.
Code:
always @ (posedge clk)

if (rst || (addra > DEPTH))
			begin
			addra <= 0;
			valid <= 0;
			valid_address <= 0;
			valid_data    <= 0;
			search_finish <= 0;
			end
		else if (search_data == temp_data)
		begin
			valid <= 1;
			valid_address <= addra;
			valid_data    <= search_data;
			search_finish <= 1;
		end
		else if ((search_data != temp_data) && (addra < DEPTH))
		begin
			valid <= 0;
			valid_address <= 0;
			valid_data    <= 0;
			search_finish <= 0;
			addra <= addra + 1;
		end
		else
		begin
			valid <= 0;
			valid_address <= 0;
			valid_data    <= 0;