Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] FPGA IP cores used in production, Any royalties involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianCas

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have read many forums where it is advised to use IP cores instead implementing it depending on the case, for instance PLLs or High Speed interfaces like USB SS or 10G Ethernet, etc. My background is EE but also in the computing engineering field I could noticed that the same advice applies where it is advised to use libraries and wrap code so you can develop faster. My concern here is, in our FPGA context, if I use an IP PLL and then I want to use it in a production environment, do I need to pay royalties to, lets say Xilinx or Altera, for using it? If I have been asked for a solution, and if I need to pay for using IPs, I would rather use external hardware and implement control in the FPGA. Thanks in advance.

No Royalties needed. You pay for the IP with the licence. If the IP comes with the licence, you're free to use it.
Altera make money selling chips. If free or licenced IP means they sell more chips - then better for altera.

For fundamental primitives such PLLs (or anything of this soft) definitely not.
On the other hand - there may be some 3rd party Xilinx/Altera certified cores that do require per device royalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back