Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8051 c programs for interfacing with GPS and gsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

micle

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
8051 c program for interfacing with gps and gsm

I am newbie for 8051 microcontroller coding. My need is to getting latitutude and logintude from gps device sending them through (Gsm sim900)sms to another mobile. I want to do the coding in c language. I am femiliar with c language but I am newbie to 8051 coding. I searched many ways for finding the code in different links but everywhere didn't get the relavent code what I expected. can any one please provide the relavent code or links to I fallow. Thank you,

Last edited:

Re: 8051 c program for interfacing with gps and gsm

Did you search something related to the NMEA standard ? Aren't you aware that, programming in C, there is no strict relation of the code with any platform ? You can take the code wrote to any other core and use by making few changes.

There are many examples of the GPS format data on the internet, such as this one I found in a very quick search
http://aprs.gids.nl/nmea/

This information is all transmitted in basic ASCII characters. So, your code has to handle operating the UART in the 8051 to transmit and receive these character strings and
parse the appropriate ones for the information.

The parsing of the data and issuing commands is completely portable to the hardware platform, once you implement the appropriate serial port/UART code specific to the hardware platform your using (8051).

It seems as if you may be a student.
Part of learning to become an engineer is learning about how to learn, how to search for information and how to break the problem down into the requisite tasks, then design something that fulfills those tasks and then implement the design. Then test it to ensure it works, and make any needed corrections. We do not want to cause you to avoid learning these important steps by giving you the final solution without your demonstrating honest effort to attempt these steps.

hello,

maybe you can use a software UART for the GPS .. if used bauds speed is low ( 9600 bds)

maybe you can use a software UART for the GPS .. if used bauds speed is low ( 9600 bds)

I'm not sure if an 8-bit core, particularly the 8051, if it has enough processing power to deal with an GPS through an UART implemented in soft code. In general, most NMEA sencences have an amount of characters ranging from approximately 50 to 75 bytes, being each data pack sent at 1 per second. Perhaps OP could find some variant of this familly core with more peripherals, like for example another UART.

Status
Not open for further replies.