Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blocking scam emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been receiving scam emails for several weeks & the number has been increasing.
Today, I received about 220.

I have Windows 7 & Microsoft office Outlook 2007.

I have tried to block them several times using the "Block sender" button in Outlook.
This deletes the email, but I'm still receiving emails from the same email addresses.

Does anyone know how I can block them permanently?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Blocking them permanently may be possible by your email provider.

On the user side you can send it to trash by using the 'filter' option in your email page,
since you said that it is the same mailid for the spam.(outlook may have one ..)

Still you may have to go to trash and empty them.
only advantage is your inbox will not have the spam.

Reactions: ljcox

ljcox

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

With most e-mail accounts you can create filters that exclude names, domains, @xyz, etc., which I guess you're already doing, but I found it not effective as I got the kind of spam that hijacks innocent people's accounts so you're just filtering out that days victim used to send you rubbish/unsolicited correspondence. In the end I just ignore it and delete it from the spam folder and leave it to the e-mail platform provider to do what they do at their end - look for patterns and automatically exclude such things. I'd contact MS if you're getting 200 a day - that's harassment, some of the senders are sorry trolls who get off on your annoyance and just send more and more, pathetic outlook and pastime, or are undesirables who lack the dignity to seek proper, noble employment or are desperate and are paid cents per spammy mail sent and have no incentive to stop, so contacting MS may be the quickest solution.

Reactions: ljcox

ljcox

I used filters a lot, basing it on specific words that the scammers used however this meant I had to periodically check the spam folder.

The more you report spam the more the anti spam tools learn what is spam.

d123

ljcox

CataM

Hi,

...also, if these are real scam e-mails, soliciting money or banking details, you may have, in Australia, a cyber-police group, or at least a related website to report this to, they have it in the UK for scam calls and so on, and you never know - reporting it may be of interest to agencies that deal with this kind of thing as some of this stuff is a big/profitable business ripping off a lot of innocent people, organised crime, and none of us wish to tolerate things like that happening to others.

Thanks for your replies.
Srizbf - I'll ask my service provider & see what they can do.
Mattylad - I could not find a filter in my version of Outlook. However, many of these emails go into the Junk Mail folder automatically.
That may be because I used the "Block sender" button.
d123 - I'll pass some of them onto MS & see what happens. Some months ago, I sent some of the rubbish to a web site that claims to investigate scams. But I never had a reply.
So I'll search to see if I can find any others.
Also, the next time I'm passing the Police Station I'll ask for their advice.

It just did not work for me using the said alteration in the settings.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that, and hope you were able to find some way of dealing with the issue, or that it just went away with time.

but I'm still receiving emails from the same email addresses

I've noticed that in general the amount of spams can increase drastically when I subscribe to one or more apparent harmless webpage just to get some specific information. In many cases, even unsubscribing notifications, they keep sending unwanted messages. At least with Gmail, whenever I report some of these spams, they ask if I really want to report this spam or just to unsubscribe, and redirect me to the page. I would be happy if could happen some intelligence behind that question, for instance to put these domains or at least their IPs within a blacklist, or even preventing them from reaching the recipients, us.

I too get repeat spam emails. The frequency increased after I registered at certain websites. They are reputable websites and I have no reason to think they would spread malware nor team up with malicious scam artists.

However it is common for websites to sell email lists to spam advertisers. We can try to unsubscribe, but there is the chance that such communication tells them a real live person is at your email address, and as a result you are added to more lists. I'm not sure there is any cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.