Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 12 to 50v dc boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecemel

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I'm looking for trough hole ic's that could boost 12 to 50-60v adjustable (for charging caps so current doesn't really matter), with as little as possible external components. Output should be regulated to not overcharge the caps.
Also, they should be commonly available so I can get them from my local electronics shop.

Cecemel

Hi,

Try using the parametric filters in manufacturers' product lists for boost/SMPS. TI, Linear, Analog, ST, etc.

A quick online search for "60V out boost converter IC" really only came up with this one: 400KHz 60V 2A Switching Current Boost / Buck-Boost / Inverting DC/DC Converter

I don't think anyone can know what is commonly available at your local electronics shop, except for you, to be fair, so the best method is to spend the time browsing the above companies', or similar manufacturers', interactive product lists to find one. No legwork involved, just using your time to make the minimal effort to find the product you need, eh! ;)

Hi,
I can get them from my local electronics shop.
I don't know which devices are available at your local store.

Maybe bjts, maybe mosfets, maybe ICs...but what manufacturers?

Hard to recommend something.

Please ask at your store what devices they can recommend.

Klaus

Output should be regulated to not overcharge the caps.

Suppose you simply install a zener diode rated for 60V? Then there is no chance it will blow up your capacitors. No need to regulate. This assumes your Ampere need is very low, of course.

Or else if you cannot waste power, then the converter needs to stop operating as soon as capacitors are charged to 60V. Normally a boost converter has to maintain oscillations all the time. However you might locate a control IC with a tricky adjustment so the boost converter can be stopped at the proper time in the cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

Demo of simple boost converter.
555 IC provides continuous pulses to bias the NPN.
Excess voltage is drawn away by the 50V zener.
By altering its series resistance you limit the zener's effect, causing output voltage to rise.

8921962200_1486270004.gif

[found at: http ://320volt .com /wp -content /uploads /2008 /06 /mc34063_50v_dc-dc .gif]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up using an MC34063, as tanveerriaz suggested. After some research, I found it's a really common IC. Strange I didn't come across it before posting this thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.