Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer matching network design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsarimin

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am a beginner. I need some opinion/help.

Here is my situation.

I am designing a transformer matching network (TMN) for a PA. I do not have ADS PDK but working in CADENCE PDK.

My question is do I have to design layout in CADENCE then export gds file to E.M software such as HFSS/ADS momentum for electromagnetic simulation and optimization?

or can I design in HFSS/ADS momentum then export the gds file to cadence? Do I need to integrate PDK in HFSS/ADS momentum to design TMN.

Please share some info.
Thank you

There is no tool which name is "CADENCE".
Use correct terminology.

My question is
do I have to design layout in CADENCE then export gds file to E.M software such as HFSS/ADS momentum for electromagnetic simulation and optimization?
or can I design in HFSS/ADS momentum then export the gds file to cadence?
I recommend latter.

Do I need to integrate PDK in HFSS/ADS momentum to design TMN.
I can not understand what you want mean at all.

If you have appropriate license, you can launch EM simulator of Keysight or Ansys from Cadence Virtuoso Layout Editor.

The following is a specific tool.
https://www.lorentzsolution.com/?page_id=13

Last edited:

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

What I mean is that do I need to integrate PDK (Process Design Kit) to ADS/HFSS? I have to use the top two metal layer in the technology I used. How to do this in ADS Momentum/HFSS?

What I mean is that do I need to integrate PDK (Process Design Kit) to ADS/HFSS?
I can not understand what you want to mean at all.
Can you understand what is PDK correctly ?

I have to use the top two metal layer in the technology I used.
How to do this in ADS Momentum/HFSS?
Construct Layer database for Keysight or Ansys Layout environment.

BTW, there is no tool which name is ADS Momentum.
Momentum is a EM solver based on "Moment Method" which is a product of Keysight Technology.

ADS is a a name of Design Frame Work of Keysight EEsof.
You can launch various tools on ADS Design Frame Work, ADSsim, GoldenGate, HSPICE, Momentum, HFSS, etc.

Momentum can be launched directly on Cadence Virtuoso Design Frame Work without using ADS if you have appropriate license.

Attachments

• 170204-232222.png
    170204-232222.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Ok Please ignore my first question. Since I am very new to EM software.

For construct layer database, I guess I have to extract some parameters from the technology manual I am using to define the substrate etc?

Thank you for your reply.

BTW, there is no tool which name is ADS Momentum.
Momentum is a EM solver based on "Moment Method" which is a product of Keysight Technology.

ADS is a a name of Design Frame Work of Keysight EEsof.
You can launch various tools on ADS Design Frame Work, ADSsim, GoldenGate, HSPICE, Momentum, HFSS, etc.

Momentum can be launched directly on Cadence Virtuoso Design Frame Work without using ADS if you have appropriate license.

Ok thank you for correcting me. I will make sure to use correct terminology. About launching momentum directly on cadence virtuoso design frame work, this is not possible since I have to use them separately due to some issues.

So I guess I have to mapped the technology layer from cadence to ads. Thanks for the information

The best way is to export your layout design from other tools ( I am assuming you are using Cadence virtuoso) to ADS using GDS file and in ADS layout use Momentum ( method od moment based solver) or 3D EM solver FEM. There is no need to use PDK for Layout only simulation. Another way is to use ADS Interoperability feature to directly synchronize your design with ADS layout if you are using Interoperable PDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back