+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Need help for internship interview for analog design/testing position

I'm currently a junior of EE major. Recently I applied to a few analog design companies for internship position(someone of them are not specified for the name of position). I really can use some advice on the incoming interview(of course, if they will come).

1. Most of them requires 'transistor level of understanding', which I have not yet covered. Should I rush through the book of Razavi? Will this book enough?
    2. What are the typical question types asked during phone technical interview? I guess they are not likely to give me a complex circuit and ask me to solve it (over the phone)? Will the phone interview more focused on concept/understanding?
    3. Can anyone give me some question that usually being used as recruiting internship? Notice I'm only a junior (well, they may treat me as a senior), not graduate yet, so many advanced topics may not covered yet.

Thanks again!

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    754 / 754
    Level

Re: Need help for internship interview for analog design/testing position

Impossible to predict what sort of questions you might get asked.
    Only advice I can suggest is do some basic research into the Company.

At the very least it might impress the interviewer that you even bothered to to make that preparation. Few applicants do.
    Ask questions about their Company, show that you are really interested in what they do. If nothing else, it shows you are keen and have the right attitude. That is just as important as being able to spout obscure mathematical laws and formulae.

Find out what products they make and what areas of specialization they may be doing research and development into.
    Analog design covers a vast range from dc through audio to microwave, precision instrumentation and sensors, power supplies, chip design, consumer products, automotive. Could be almost anything.

Find out what the Company core products are, and at least you may then be a little less surprised about the areas they are probably most interested in.

And don't be too shocked if they ask personal questions such as do you have a hobby ? or what do you do in your spare time ?
    Cheers, Tony.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Warpspeed View Post
    Impossible to predict what sort of questions you might get asked.
    Only advice I can suggest is do some basic research into the Company.

At the very least it might impress the interviewer that you even bothered to to make that preparation. Few applicants do.
    Ask questions about their Company, show that you are really interested in what they do. If nothing else, it shows you are keen and have the right attitude. That is just as important as being able to spout obscure mathematical laws and formulae.

Find out what products they make and what areas of specialization they may be doing research and development into.
    Analog design covers a vast range from dc through audio to microwave, precision instrumentation and sensors, power supplies, chip design, consumer products, automotive. Could be almost anything.

Find out what the Company core products are, and at least you may then be a little less surprised about the areas they are probably most interested in.

And don't be too shocked if they ask personal questions such as do you have a hobby ? or what do you do in your spare time ?
    Thanks for your reply! I still have 2-3 weeks to prepare, so right now I want to review/study the materials. These companies I applied to are mostly focused on chip design. I just want some advice on how to prepare/what to expect for interview.

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 1
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    3 / 3
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsmith888 View Post
    I'm currently a junior of EE major. Recently I applied to a few analog design companies for internship position(someone of them are not specified for the name of position). I really can use some advice on the incoming interview(of course, if they will come).

1. Most of them requires 'transistor level of understanding', which I have not yet covered. Should I rush through the book of Razavi? Will this book enough?
    2. What are the typical question types asked during phone technical interview? I guess they are not likely to give me a complex circuit and ask me to solve it (over the phone)? Will the phone interview more focused on concept/understanding?
    3. Can anyone give me some question that usually being used as recruiting internship? Notice I'm only a junior (well, they may treat me as a senior), not graduate yet, so many advanced topics may not covered yet.

Thanks again!
    Hi Adamsmith888, probably my reply arrives a bit late but here it is, in case it helps you or other people, and in case it can help you for other future interviews.
    I suggest you definitely do some company research first of all. Investigate and understand what products they do, for what markets, and on what technologies. Understand or try to predict for which kind of product within their product line they may be needing an analog design/test engineer. This is to anticipate yourself to what they may need, and try to connect your experience (if no experience, use coursework) connects with the skillsets that are most likely required to design/test the products they produce.
    At the same time, combine this with some reviewing of basic concepts of analog circuit design, you don´t have to go into great detail, but make sure you have a basic and more than anything very solid foundation in analogue circuits. It is difficult to predict what questions they will be asking you, so just be honest about what your interests are, what you have covered in your coursework so far, and let them know what initiatives you have taken to increase your knowledge by yourself. If you are interested in this field, you will be studying it by yourself to increase your knowledge anyway, so let them know that this is a field where you want to specialize and increase your knowledge.

To give you a rough idea of questions that have been asked in interviews, you can expect something like:
    -basic operational amplifier circuits (unity gain follower, positive or negative gain amplifiers with resistors and caps, etc)
    -basic understanding of RC filters
    -understanding of the Nyquist theorem with respect to sampling circuits
    -basic understanding of functionality of MOS transistors as switches or as amplifier stages. Those are just some examples.

If you are still looking for internships or applying for electronics jobs as a fresher, and you would like some help or guidance with preparing for the interview (increasing your chances of being hired) or getting more interviews, get in touch with me and I can give you some tips and advice. I have been through this process and I know it´s difficult, but with persistence you will make it.

All the best
    Last edited by pepillo; 23rd June 2017 at 18:02. Reason: correcting typos

--[[ ]]--