Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doubt with cic filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i just designed a cic filter to down sample input signals from 65 mhz to 10 khz. which will give a decimation factor of 6500.

i decided to implement this in cascaded manner :: that is 3 cic filter cascaded together which will have R:20,25 and 13 ?

where the max working register length is 38 bit width, if i selected 5 stages

now question is how can i select the NUMBER OF STAGES in the cic filter..?????

i read few articles and i didnt find any criteria for deciding N.. most of the papers they simply decided the N as 4,5 10 etc
and please excuse me if this is a stupid question :(

can anybody help me on this?

thanks and regards

i read few articles and i didn't find any criteria for deciding N
Sounds like you missed a basic introduction to CIC decimators. The number of stages N is the filter order, you can visualize it's effect by looking at the CIC response either in time or frequency domain. In frequency domain, the magnitude characteristic is approximately (sin(x)/x)^N with the first zero at the output sampling frequency, the exact expression is

cic-response.jpg

The filter order is usually commanded by the required suppression of out-of-band signals that are folded into the base band. N=2..4 is reasonable for many applications.

The smooth (sin(x)/x)^N characteristic of CIC decimation filters is often unwanted in signal processing applications, e.g. for oversampling ADC. Therefore a FIR decimator with steep frequency characteristic or a CIC with compensating filter is often preferred for the last decimation stage.

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for the replay FvM,

I am using a fir filter in the final stage as compensation filter.
i am doing it iin verilog. so everything i am able to calculate except "N".
my decimation rate is 5600=65Mhz/10KHZ :: and internal width of register is Bin+N*log(RM),, where M=1;

but i got a confusion about how i will decide value of N.

regards

As said, it depends on the required of band suppression by the filter. Need to know the input signal spectrum, characteristic of analog anti-aliasing filters in front of the ADC and acceptable aliased signals.

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back