Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to confirm that your impedance matching is a good matching with ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

decholas

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I would like to know how to create a good impedance matching and how to ensure your impedance matching is a good matching with ADS. Any tools or method?

The simplest way I can imagine is to plot the smith chart. So make a port, your matching network, and your load, then simulate at the frequency of interest using the S parameter simulation. Plot the smith chart and see if the line crosses the center of the chart right at the frequency you care about. Moreover, ADS has a handy impedance matching utility that will mostly set all these steps up for you. I am a big fan of using the Smith chart utility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JIxy4obMs

Thanks for the reply. I try the Smith chart plotting now.

If you are designing amplifiers ( like LNA) then along with impedance matching check stability also. If design is not stable then your impedance matching may need further optimization.

I am designing rf energy harvester impedance matching. Anything that I have to check?

No, my suggestion is only for amplifier design.

I am designing a LNA with ADS but i am very new to the software and don't know much. Can u tell me how to check stability and optimise my circuit. (I need to optimise to get flat gain; less than 1dB variation)

Reactions: Pri6

Pri6

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.