Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about splitting the power plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuit

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a four layer board with layer 1 and 4 for signal and 2 is ground plane and 3 is power plane ( followed this from analog devices eval board which i am partly replicating in my design since I am using the same ADC chip)

I am having a single 6V power coming in to the board using an adapter and this i am splitting into the required analog an digital vdd's using appropriate voltage regulators. there are 2 analog vdd's and 2 digital vdd's in my system. say analog 2.5V and digital 3.5V for my sensor and analog 3V and digital 3V for my ADC.

Now i have to split the power plane into 4 islands intellegently such that I can place the components and directly put a via from their respective pins to the voltage plane. Here should I have the analog planes together and digital planes together ? (I am having only one ground plane )

ADC has to be positioned at the end of the board with the digital signals going to a connector which sits on another board. Sensor has all its outputs on one side. i am attatching the way i have to place the components

I will run the board at a max clock of 20 MHz

Re: power plane issue

The use of separate voltage regulators for Analog and Digital circuits is a good idea, however, voltage regulators are not very good with HF signals, so use a small inductors (usually 1 - 10µH is enough) from connector pin power in to each of voltage regulators. Also use combination of capacitors (100nF ceramic + 10µF tantalum) close to regulators Vin and Vout.
I would leave both AVDD and DVDD as separate as possible ..

As far as AGND and DGND are concerned,you can connect both together at one point (with a thin truck) somewhere undernith A/D converter, or if this is impossible just leave the hole layer as one big ground plane ..

circuit

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks. yeah i am leaving the 2nd layer entirely as ground plane and putting via at respective points from the pins to this ground plane ( i am replicating this design from A/D eval board and even an engineer in AD suggested me this )

yeah i am having the inductors and proper bypass capacitors at the regulator input and output. now the issue i am still not clear is I am havig AVDD and DVDD for ADC chip and AVDD and DVDD for sensor chip. here can i split my PCB 3rd layer as

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVDD (Sensor) | AVDD (Sensor) | AVDD(ADC) | DVDD(ADC) |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the analog signals from Sensor go directly to the ADC.

DVDD (Sensor) cap/inductor| AVDD (Sensor) cap/inductor| AVDD(ADC) | DVDD(ADC) | and DVDD(sensor) can be fed of the AVDD of sensor ..

thanks ! so on the 1st layer where i keep all the components, i can route the power signal (say 50 mils wide) from the connector to all the regulators input and then at the output of the regulator, i just put a via to the island of that Vdd.

power plane issue

As I understand you plan to use only one ground plane (for both Digital and Analog GND). It is not a good idea, you should split the GND plane to AGND and DGND and try to put the AGND under analog signals.

shurilo said:
As I understand you plan to use only one ground plane (for both Digital and Analog GND). It is not a good idea, you should split the GND plane to AGND and DGND and try to put the AGND under analog signals.

Yes I agree with you. If use a whole plane as GND (both analog and digital), there must be some other VCC or VDD planes are in parallel to the GND copper, that's a big trouble of EMI. It's a good idea to seperate the analog part and digital part as seprated as possible.

mike

--------------------------
www.ezpcb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back