Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make Connections to BLDC Motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okada

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to make Connections to BLDC Motor ?

I am using PIC18F4431 to drive a BLDC motor in Proteus. I want to know how to connect the BLDC motor connections. Attached is the incomplete circuit. Please provide me Motor connections and what should be connected to load terminal and omega terminal of motor ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have made this circuit. Please check it and tell me if this is correct (Rev B file). if it is correct then I will proceed with code writing.

Attachments

• BLDC Motor Driving.PDF
    30.8 KB · Views: 161
  • BLDC Motor Driving Rev B.PDF
    33.8 KB · Views: 157

Most BLDC motors have three terminals and these should be connected to the three terminals marked Phase1, Phase2 and Phase3. Could you please be more clear about your question?

Playing with the Proteus you can connect BLDC wires directly to mcu's pins. Model is digital, nothing can blow up. Well, because you are still alive, I think, you not going outside proteus anyway. So, just continue playing.

Yes, regarding BLDC motor I am only playing with Proteus. I just need to write a working code for sensorless and sensor based BLDC motor control.

In the schematic I have attached I have used Proteus BLDC motor model and it has a load and omega termianls.

If the sensor is Hall type, then I guess the omega terminal is the reference ground. But then I do not know about the load; is the motor star connected?

Reactions: Okada

Okada

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I guess "load" and "omega" are connecting mechanical state variables of the model. There's surely some model documentation.

Reactions: Okada

Okada

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@ c-mitra

Yes, motor is star connected.

Hi,

the motor has just 3 wires (I assume) therefore you won´t electrically see a difference if it is star or delta connected.

Klaus

the motor has just 3 wires (I assume) therefore you won´t electrically see a difference if it is star or delta connected.

If there are 3 power (Ph1, Ph2 and Ph3) connections only, it cannot be a star connection; if there are four power connections (Ph1, Ph2, Ph3, N), it cannot be a delta connection. If there are six wires, it can be externally connected to be either a star or delta connection. Big motors often need to start in star mode (lower voltage across each coil) and once the motor picks up speed, it is changed to a delta (higher voltage across each coil) connection- usually done with motor starter.

I am puzzled with the load connection.

Please report the resistance values from load terminal to each of the phase (1, 2 and 3). This may give some idea.

I already mentioned that I am only testing in Proteus and in that there are two models BLDC-star and BLDC-Delta and I have selected BLDC-Star model.

I already mentioned that I am only testing in Proteus and in that there are two models BLDC-star and BLDC-Delta and I have selected BLDC-Star model.

Right. Did you connect the load terminal to ground? It is not so clear from the diagrams.

Hi,

If there are 3 power (Ph1, Ph2 and Ph3) connections only, it cannot be a star connection; if there are four power connections (Ph1, Ph2, Ph3, N), it cannot be a delta connection. If there are six wires, it can be externally connected to be either a star or delta connection. Big motors often need to start in star mode (lower voltage across each coil) and once the motor picks up speed, it is changed to a delta (higher voltage across each coil) connection- usually done with motor starter.

* You are talking about 3 phase async motors, but OP talks about BLDC..
* BLDC is purely sync. It won't safely start when connected to a fixed frequency. It needs the frequency to ramp up and down
* The symbol clearely shows 3 power connections only (not 4 and not 6). And for sure the three motor windings may be internally connected in star as well as in delta.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back