Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I am new to NIOS II. Need help for my requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

niks

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using Altera Arria II GX FPGA, 5AGXMA5G4F35C5N. I would like to run NIOS soft core in this FPGA.
I would like to have Ethernet 100MB and M.2 PCIe x 4 interface. I am hardware engineer hence I have no knowledge of NIOS, hence your inputs highly appreciated.

Does NIOS II support Ethernet 100MB and M.2 PCIe x 4 interface? What is the maximum ethernet speed I can achieve?
Is it possible to implement both MAC & PHY inside FPGA using NIOS?

- - - Updated - - -

Thre is typo error. I am using Arria V
I am using Altera Arria II GX FPGA, 5AGXMA5G4F35C5N. I would like to run NIOS soft core in this FPGA.
I would like to have Ethernet 100MB and M.2 PCIe x 4 interface. I am hardware engineer hence I have no knowledge of NIOS, hence your inputs highly appreciated.

Does NIOS II support Ethernet 100MB and M.2 PCIe x 4 interface? What is the maximum ethernet speed I can achieve?
Is it possible to implement both MAC & PHY inside FPGA using NIOS?

There is special Altera IP for Ethernet (unfortunately paid), NIOS is mainly used to load the registers (IP address, timings, etc.) and to handle the communications on higher level. With this Ethernet IP you could achieve 1Gb/s data transfers even on much smaller FPGAs.

Reactions: niks

niks

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There is special Altera IP for Ethernet (unfortunately paid), NIOS is mainly used to load the registers (IP address, timings, etc.) and to handle the communications on higher level. With this Ethernet IP you could achieve 1Gb/s data transfers even on much smaller FPGAs.

Thank you for the reply. I could get the required Ethernet IP. Do you have the link where I could get more information about it?
My design is almost finish, however, I would like to have provision for the NIOS + Ethernet IP + PCIex4 M.2 interface IP. I may need to add DDR3 interface for that. Could you tell me if any other interface required?
With NIOS do I get the flexibility to assign DDR3 to any ports?

Thank you for the reply. I could get the required Ethernet IP. Do you have the link where I could get more information about it?
Maybe you should go to Altera's web site, they have documentation on their parts and their IP cores.

niks said:
My design is almost finish, however, I would like to have provision for the NIOS + Ethernet IP + PCIex4 M.2 interface IP. I may need to add DDR3 interface for that. Could you tell me if any other interface required?
With NIOS do I get the flexibility to assign DDR3 to any ports?
The DDR3 will likely have very specific requirements of which pins are used and the number of outputs in a given bank and the number adjacent pins that are all outputs. You should read the documentation on the DDR3 IP core before finishing the board, better yet run the Quartus tools to generate a DDR3 design and pick the banks that the DDR3 reside on and have the tools select the pins to use.

niks

To get working Ethernet IP you need the full (subscribed) version of Quartus + IP . When you buy the Quartus from some Altera dealer you can also get detailed information and support. The Altera dealers can answer many of your questions and also support your development, they can also connect you to some Altera certified developes. The dealers can also give you some temporary license (free of charge, for limited period of time) for the Ethernet IP - in this case you get fully functional FPGA only when connected with JTAG to the PC (very good for testing but can't be distributed).
In short - for what you're trying to achieve the best way is to call your local Altera dealer, otherwise you could spend months and months in development without any success.

niks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back