Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusing various battery charging chemistry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsanthosh67

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a battery charging circuit with an ic of max712, It is capable to charge Nickel Metal hydride(NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium(Nicd) type of batteries. Shall I Connect Lithium Ion Battery with this charging Circuit?...I have a confusion because every charging ic will specifying supported type of battery. Basically CC/CV is the charging principle then why charging ic will not supporting all type of batteries.

Regards,
Santhoshkumar.

Hi,

I think it depends on the charging rate, for example some are C/1, some C/3 (perhaps the MAX712 can't be configured for Li Ion charge rate?), and possibly other issues. I hope either of these documents is helpful:

Attachments

• Battery Charging snva557.pdf
    146.6 KB · Views: 65
  • panasonic_li-ion_charging_information.pdf
    380.3 KB · Views: 81

Hi,

if you want to charge Li-Ion, then use a Li-Ion charger. The MAX712 is no Li-Ion charger.
Maxim has a lot Li-Ion charger ICs.

Klaus

Hi,

Can i charge Lead Acid battery with this Charger IC MAX712?...

Regards,
Santhoshkumar..

Hi,

It looks like no.

"Description
The MAX712/MAX713 fast-charge Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries..."

"Key Features:
Fast-Charge NiMH or NiCd Batteries"

Maybe browsing the parametric search options will help to choose the right charger if you need one for lead acid or universal battery chemistries.

Hi,

Can i charge Lead Acid battery with this Charger IC MAX712?...
--> similar as post#3:

if you want to charge lead acid batteries, then use alead acid batteries charger. The MAX712 is no lead acid batteries charger.
Maxim has a lot lead acid batteries charger ICs.

Klaus

The gist of all this is that you should use a battery charger only for the type of battery it is designed for.
Each type of battery has its own requirements for proper charging, and trying to charge a different type of battery can result in battery failure or even an explosion and fire if it's a lithium-ion type.

Status
Not open for further replies.