Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Floating/unconnected copper pad when making custom pad in Altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricalEngineer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to create a custom pad for a FET, however, the custom pad area "polygon" is not connected to the pad placed as seen in 3D View.

I made this part by following the Altium directions to create an outline, followed by Tools>Convert>Create Region from Selected Primitive. I then assigned this to the top layer followed by placing a pad towards the center of the pad as seen in the image.

It is worth noting that I also tried placing it at the corner but it made no difference.

See attached images for further information.

AltiumShot3.jpg Alitum2.jpg Altium1.jpg

Thanks for the help.

I think I found a fix for this, although I'm not quite sure if this would be the correct fix. I went into the pcb library for this part and changed solder mask "expansion from rule" It may have been a solder mask appearing here, but I'm not sure exactly what is going on so if someone has a good explanation I would appreciate it.

I was also going into Netlist and playing around with creating nets from copper and what not so I'm not entirely sure what fixed it at this point.

The easiest way to do this is as follows:
- draw the custom shape as a region, and apply solder and paste mask expansion rules to it
- place a small SMD pad with the correct designator in the middle of it
Altium Designer will now recognize the entire copper area as electrically connected to the pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back