+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    496 / 496
    Level

How many were accepted onto Electronics degrees in UK in 2012?

Hello
    From page 22 of the following document, I understand that in UK in 2012, a total of approximately 1225 UK domiciled students were accepted onto Electronics Engineering degrees in UK. Please advise whether or not I have interpreted this document correctly?
    Do you know how many of those being “accepted” in 2012 actually graduated in Electronics Engineering?

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4454 / 4454
    Level

Re: How many were accepted onto Electronics degrees in UK in 2012?

The document makes great use of pictures of pretty girls and 'generic' pictures from Shutterstock. Notice the number of people typing in front of blank screens!

I have no reason to dispute the figure, it seems reasonable but I wish the people who produce these reports got off their rumps and did it in the real World instead of hiding behind an art package and using assumptions based on other assumptions to calculate the figures. I have serious doubts about some of the degree courses, I know several cases of people who enrolled, disappeared then turned again to receive their degree. Some UK universities are frightened of losing income, particularly from 'rich' sources so they skew the results to maximize profit instead of concentratingh on good education. I am speaking as someone from a poor background who had no significant education at all but 'learned on the job' and on many occasions interviewed graduates for some demanding positions. There were some excellent and enthusiastic candidates but equally there were some who hadn't got a clue about electronics but had letters after their name.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    496 / 496
    Level

Thanks, the page 22 talks of “UCAS acceptances” for electronics degrees in 2012. The thing is, and please correct me if I am wrong, that any student is allowed to apply for up to 5 degree courses, and so a student being accepted for a course, does not necessarily mean that they ended up going on that course.
    I have been trying for some time to find the number of UK domiciled students graduating in electronics degrees or other courses each year, and this seems impossible to find out.
    I emailed the office for national statistics, but they simply gave me the total number graduating, including all overseas students aswell. I emailed them back to say so but they never responded. At one point they seemed to suggest that I would have to pay for certain information, but they weren’t clear.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4454 / 4454
    Level

Your assumption seems correct. Given the competitive nature of universities, I would imagine just about all course seats would be filled, either by selected or placed students, the enrollment figure is probably fairly accurate. What isn't quoted is the 'fallout' of students who for whatever reason do not complete the courses. The nature of that kind of education makes it difficult to replace a student if a position is vacated.

You may have trouble discriminating UK domiciled and 'other' students because of the way (at least at the moment!) the EU boundaries are blurred.

I have a contact in the ONS but I would be very hesitant to ask them for 'insider' information and potentially risk their job.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

Banned

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

yes the pdf file of uk college was great

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    496 / 496
    Level

yes, i am not sure if it actually tells anything accurately though

Banned

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

it has lots of good labs

--[[ ]]--