Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac ripple with dc offset voltage sensing IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkh15001

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
Anyone can help me to give some idea or sensor IC that I can use for sensing the battery voltage. Actually my target is sensing the battery voltage above 13.4 V with small amount of ac ripple (20mV peak to peak).

Hi,

If you're making a battery charger, there are many ICs that include that kind of feature, or you could browse battery management/monitor ICs made by various manufacturers to see if that's what you're looking for.

Do you want do see the voltage on a display, or have the 13.4V trigger an event? A comparator could be used to sense the 13.4V, but without knowing what for it may be not a solution...you'd probably want to explain the full circuit for other members to offer viable solutions.

Hi,

If you're making a battery charger, there are many ICs that include that kind of feature, or you could browse battery management/monitor ICs made by various manufacturers to see if that's what you're looking for.

Do you want do see the voltage on a display, or have the 13.4V trigger an event? A comparator could be used to sense the 13.4V, but without knowing what for it may be not a solution...you'd probably want to explain the full circuit for other members to offer viable solutions.

My target is to extract the ripple voltage from battery in sinusoidal ripple current charging technique. Like current sensor I need to sense the voltage then I filtered the dc value and collect the ripple voltage for my further analysis.

Hi,

If you want to measure both with an ADC then:

I recommend an i put voltage range of 15V (to get some headroom)
And a resolution of 10mV.

Divide those 15V by 10mV and get 1500. These is the min resolution you need.
You need to choose an 11 bits or more ADC.

Many microcontrollers only have a 10 bit ADC, then you need another solution.
* external ADC
* one channel internal ADC but limited input voltage range. Maybe 10V to 15V at 10 bits make 5mV resolution.
* two channel internal ADC. One channel for DC, 0..15V, the other for AC only, biased to 1/2 × ADC_input_voltage_range. And an amplifier (Opamp) for AC.

What solution to choose depends on a lot other parameters. Like cost, PCB area, sampling rate, accuracy, hardware effort, software effort.....
You wont find the cheapest and best in one solution, so you have to decide...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.