Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to move a Sensor/Object Connected with Stepper Motor in Upward Direction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpress_embedo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
First of all sorry if i posted this question in wrong section.

My question is that, i have to move a distance (Ultra Sonic) sensor in upward direction and measure the distance vertically.
From various post of internet, i found that this thing is possible with a stepper motor.

But i didn't understand what assembly i need to do that and how to connect them.
(I found some terms like Threaded Rod and Nut , but i am confused regarding which part i shall buy)

Please suggest me the parts and ways to connect them to meet the purpose and from where i can purchase this thing.
(I am from India, Amazon India will work perfectly for me)

Thanks in Advance.

Here is another method just like an old-fashioned mechanical radio dial. A large continuous loop of string goes around 3 pulleys: (a) one on the motor shaft, and (b) one at each extreme end of travel for your device. Attach your device to the string. Spin the motor in either direction to make your device move up or down.

This method easily gets out of calibration. It helps if you put spring tension on the string, and make the pulleys spin freely.

I found some terms like Threaded Rod and Nut

This is okay for short distances. It requires attaching the screw to the motor shaft. The nut must be free to travel the entire length of the screw, but you must also attach it with a ring to a stationary shaft so it does not spin around. Your device is carried up and down as the nut travels up and down the threaded shaft. You need to build in enough flexibility in the joints, so that there is no binding and seizing during operation.

Here is another method just like an old-fashioned mechanical radio dial. A large continuous loop of string goes around 3 pulleys: (a) one on the motor shaft, and (b) one at each extreme end of travel for your device. Attach your device to the string. Spin the motor in either direction to make your device move up or down.

This method easily gets out of calibration. It helps if you put spring tension on the string, and make the pulleys spin freely.

This is okay for short distances. It requires attaching the screw to the motor shaft. The nut must be free to travel the entire length of the screw, but you must also attach it with a ring to a stationary shaft so it does not spin around. Your device is carried up and down as the nut travels up and down the threaded shaft. You need to build in enough flexibility in the joints, so that there is no binding and seizing during operation.

Thanks for you reply.
I have to move up at just 20cm to 30cm so i think threaded rod method will work for me.
Can you please suggest me from where i can buy these things easily, and are there any ready made assemblies??
If possible please share any online link for that.

So i think i need this:
**broken link removed**

Plus something to hold this rod on motor, which i think i can manage.
And the last thing is to prevent the sensor connected on this rod from moving, is there any ready made assembly for this?? or i have to do some arrangement manually.

I think you are asking how to join the thread to the motor.
If you have the tools, the most accurate method is to drill a hole the size of the motor shaft in the end of the threaded rod. It needs to be >5mm deep, more is better. Then make a saw cut across the diameter of the rod so it divides it in two across the hole you drilled. Finally, insert the motor shaft into the hole and either glue it, clamp it with a compression clip or both. The important point is the rod and motor shaft must be aligned on the same axis so it doesn't wobble as the motor turns.

To raise and lower the sensor, step the motor in the appropriate direction so the rod rotates. If the nut is prevented from rotating with it, it will move along the rod and give you the motion you need. You just keep stepping the motor to set the sensor position.

Brian.

So i think i need this:
**broken link removed**

Your linked item appears to be suitable if you wish to spend 14 dollars. Notice the flat shape of the nut. This makes it easy to fit it under guide rails, so that it travels in linear motion. You can make guides out of wire or sticks, etc.

A hardware store might have less expensive items. Such as threaded rod 25 cm (10 inches) long. A plastic threaded rod might be supplied in an inexpensive custom decorative hanging kit of some kind.

Your linked item appears to be suitable if you wish to spend 14 dollars. Notice the flat shape of the nut. This makes it easy to fit it under guide rails, so that it travels in linear motion. You can make guides out of wire or sticks, etc.

A hardware store might have less expensive items. Such as threaded rod 25 cm (10 inches) long. A plastic threaded rod might be supplied in an inexpensive custom decorative hanging kit of some kind.

Thanks for reply.
I understand what needs to be done.

I found this assembly
https://www.banggood.com/DC-4-9V-Dr...-With-Nut-Slider-2-Phase-4-Wire-p-964613.html

And it is most appropriate for me, just the problem is that the length is less only 9cm while i need around 20-30cm.

If you guys have any links for ready made assemblies then please share, meanwhile i will start building this setup.

it is most appropriate for me, just the problem is that the length is less only 9cm while i need around 20-30cm.

There is a device called a pantograph, a mechanical extension device. By fastening its hinged arms at the proper spots, you can multiply a motion of 9cm times 2 or 3 or 4.

2075267800_1483430555.gif

It will take some effort to make one. Connections should be secure, with minimum play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back