Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] NiMH and Alkaline rechargeable batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

i200yrs

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All...just wondering why i can't charge my Alkaline rechargeable batt using my NiMH charger? Any explanations? Thanks

Alkaline rechargeable

I purchased these about 20 years ago. They provide 1.5V like normal alkalines. They're supposed to need a special charger (expensive), which I did without.

I suspect they are not as robust as nicads and NIMH. I think they require gentle handling when charging. A lower charge rate. A particular peak voltage, and no higher. Etc.

I charged them with my all-purpose charger. I did not do any comparison tests, but I believe their performance dropped as I used them a few times. I must have tossed them out when they no longer appeared to hold a charge.

I have not seen rechargeable alkalines on the market for years. Many customers might have been disappointed with them.

I am happy using Ni-MH rechargeable batteries for about 20 years and I was disappointed with Ni-Cads before that. I have never used rechargeable alkaline batteries because they were very poor.

Rechargeable Alkalines were introduced like 20 years ago. They had a very limited amount of charging cycles, perhaps 10 or 20.

The market did not respond favorably and thus they disappeared.

You still see them around (alkalines) but I've only run
into far-East "off-brand" looking ones and they have
consistently disappointed, and leaked soon (even on
their own co-branded charger).

When I was just a lad, we were able to recharge
plain old carbon-zinc batteries a few times before
they spooged. This was before alkalines became
a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com