+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member level 2
    Points: 291, Level: 3

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    24
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    291
    Level
    3

    Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    Hi,

    I have a capacitance measurement board which can convert input tiny differential capacitance to voltage. I found a strange thing about it. Whenever I use it to measure constant differential capacitance on weekdays, I can always get stable result as shown below, which is normal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图18310109718061.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	134128

    But every time I use it on weekend, I always get oscillating result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图17571119849696.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	134129

    Can anyone tell me why?

    Thanks.

    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Points: 251,535, Level: 100
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bochum, Germany
    Posts
    43,802
    Helped
    13318 / 13318
    Points
    251,535
    Level
    100

    Re: Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    Record room temperature and humidity.



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Points: 50,431, Level: 54

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    12,403
    Helped
    2464 / 2464
    Points
    50,431
    Level
    54

    Re: Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    Perhaps the question is genuine? The waveforms cycle every 0.4 hour (24 minutes), according to the time markings. Does your instrument has its power supply from house voltage? Does the voltage rise or drop cyclically on weekends, in a different manner than it does on weekdays?

    Does your house have an appliance (example, water heater) which takes 12 minutes to turn on, gradually drawing more power? Then its power usage declines for 12 minutes? Etc.

    Do you have machinery running in your neighborhood on weekends only, which might operate on a 24 minute cycle? If so then your own house voltage could change.

    Or perhaps the effect is masked during weekdays, by local business random electrical usage? Then on weekends there is a reduction of random usage, which allows the cyclical behavior to be more obvious?



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 34,719, Level: 45
    Achievements:
    7 years registered Created Blog entry Created Album pictures
    SunnySkyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON, Canada
    Posts
    6,690
    Helped
    1671 / 1671
    Points
    34,719
    Level
    45
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    This weekend pattern. How stable is it? 10%?1%? 0.1% 0.4h cycle = 24 minutes? What else changes at this rate ? Is there any harmonic relationship with 50Hz line and ADC frame rate? or room thermostat?

    I suggest you list all sources of error and isolate them then eliminate them. The socket must be a big source of error and you need guard signal on shielded wires for any distance beyond board to eliminate extreme sensitivity errors. e.g. crosstalk, drift and noise IF using 6.67 fentofarad/Volt or 150V/pF!!

    -----
    from your other posts..

    I have not read the manual, but have you followed all my suggestions? remove socket.. report sensitivity e.g. 150V/pF,, use only C0G/NPO caps or BETTER plastic film. (PTFE, PU,PP,PE etc)

    e.g. caps temp sensitive? vibration sensitive? ( ceramic may be piezo sensitive) humidity sensitive? Is crosstalk on ADC input from sensors or from ADC MUX in S&H? Did you read consecutive on X ch then Y ch to ensure no crosstalk in S&H. Were sensors terminated when disconnected? You cannot leave them floating.

    I am not sure what you are doing. good luck.
    A good design question lists your overall requirements™ The best question deserves a better answer. ™
    ... Tony Stewart EE since 1975



  5. #5
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 38,220, Level: 47

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,180
    Helped
    1792 / 1792
    Points
    38,220
    Level
    47

    Re: Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    What you've got is one fairly small regular variation
    which may be present at all times, but is "buried"
    by much greater noise when everybody's working.

    As a rule you really ought to try to keep consistent
    axes when you ask people to compare things by eye.



    •   AltAdvertisment

        
       

  6. #6
    Junior Member level 2
    Points: 291, Level: 3

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    24
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    291
    Level
    3

    Re: Different capacitance measurement results on weekday and weekend,why?

    Quote Originally Posted by BradtheRad View Post
    Perhaps the question is genuine? The waveforms cycle every 0.4 hour (24 minutes), according to the time markings. Does your instrument has its power supply from house voltage? Does the voltage rise or drop cyclically on weekends, in a different manner than it does on weekdays?

    Does your house have an appliance (example, water heater) which takes 12 minutes to turn on, gradually drawing more power? Then its power usage declines for 12 minutes? Etc.

    Do you have machinery running in your neighborhood on weekends only, which might operate on a 24 minute cycle? If so then your own house voltage could change.

    Or perhaps the effect is masked during weekdays, by local business random electrical usage? Then on weekends there is a reduction of random usage, which allows the cyclical behavior to be more obvious?
    Quote Originally Posted by BradtheRad View Post
    Perhaps the question is genuine? The waveforms cycle every 0.4 hour (24 minutes), according to the time markings. Does your instrument has its power supply from house voltage? Does the voltage rise or drop cyclically on weekends, in a different manner than it does on weekdays?

    Does your house have an appliance (example, water heater) which takes 12 minutes to turn on, gradually drawing more power? Then its power usage declines for 12 minutes? Etc.

    Do you have machinery running in your neighborhood on weekends only, which might operate on a 24 minute cycle? If so then your own house voltage could change.

    Or perhaps the effect is masked during weekdays, by local business random electrical usage? Then on weekends there is a reduction of random usage, which allows the cyclical behavior to be more obvious?
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

    My instrument does have its power supply from house voltage.
    Below is my instrument.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图17900105455182.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	134158
    The left part is a MEMS device which contains an comb drive actuator, Vcda is provided by a power supply from house voltage.
    The right part is the capacitance measurement board (AT1006) whose input voltage is 5V, I use my laptop to provide this voltage while my laptop is connected to house voltage.

    My lab do have an appliance which is a refrigerator but I am not sure whether it has a 24 mins cycle.

    It's possible that there is some machinery running around our lab on weekends.

    As you said those factors may change the house voltage.

    But when I did the test, I use a multimeter to measure the Vcda, I can tell that the number shown on multimeter is stable. Does this mean the house voltage is stable and we can exclude those factors?

    Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dick_freebird View Post
    What you've got is one fairly small regular variation
    which may be present at all times, but is "buried"
    by much greater noise when everybody's working.

    As a rule you really ought to try to keep consistent
    axes when you ask people to compare things by eye.
    Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

    I have change the axes to make them consistent. Now the vertial axes of the two plot have same range.
    Weekdays
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图18310117293135.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	134163
    Weekend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图17571119849696.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	134164
    As you can see, the weekend variation is greater than weekday's noise. I don't think this variation is present on weekdays. There should be some reason for this variation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SunnySkyguy View Post
    This weekend pattern. How stable is it? 10%?1%? 0.1% 0.4h cycle = 24 minutes? What else changes at this rate ? Is there any harmonic relationship with 50Hz line and ADC frame rate? or room thermostat?

    I suggest you list all sources of error and isolate them then eliminate them. The socket must be a big source of error and you need guard signal on shielded wires for any distance beyond board to eliminate extreme sensitivity errors. e.g. crosstalk, drift and noise IF using 6.67 fentofarad/Volt or 150V/pF!!

    -----
    from your other posts..

    I have not read the manual, but have you followed all my suggestions? remove socket.. report sensitivity e.g. 150V/pF,, use only C0G/NPO caps or BETTER plastic film. (PTFE, PU,PP,PE etc)

    e.g. caps temp sensitive? vibration sensitive? ( ceramic may be piezo sensitive) humidity sensitive? Is crosstalk on ADC input from sensors or from ADC MUX in S&H? Did you read consecutive on X ch then Y ch to ensure no crosstalk in S&H. Were sensors terminated when disconnected? You cannot leave them floating.

    I am not sure what you are doing. good luck.
    Hi SunnySkyguy,

    Yes, I have followed your suggestions. I removed the socket, and used 150V/pF sensitivity, directly soldered the NP0 caps on the board, and shield the SI wire beyond the board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图170701178611179.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	134168
    Still I didn't get stable result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图17680808808682.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	134169
    The left one is the output of the channel connected to external capacitor. The right one is the output of the channel connected to nothing.

    At last I found that the previously unstable result I got is because I did the tests right after I soldered something on the board. I found that if I left the board there for several days after the solder work and then did the test, I can always get stable result, even using the socket.

    The weekday result shown in my original post is stable as you can see, I got the result using the following setup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360反馈意见截图1732120595100116.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	134170

    I think the drift issue is solved.

    Right now one of the problems is on weekend the result is strange, but it's not drift.

    The other is the three channels are probably coupled and not independent as I said in the other post which I hope maybe you can give me some suggestions.

    Thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    Record room temperature and humidity.

    Thanks for your reply. I will do it after I get the necessary instrument.



--[[ ]]--