Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

isolated DC/DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa_am

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I need a 5v/5v isolated DC/DC voltage that provides at least 1.2kV insolation. I looked to many datasheets but all information is given using some standard insolation measurement like IEC60747, UL1577. All data is given based on insulator withstand in 1min or 10s. How could I find a suitable module that provides required insulation? is there any relation between provided figures in the datasheet and continuous operation?

Thank you

Working voltage is the keyword you are looking for. There is a relation by the test voltage specifications of various safety standards. But the characterization of devices with isolation works basically the other way around. You are targeting a specific working voltage (e.g 1200 V, DC or AC, basic or reinforced insulation, possibly required to be partial discharge free). Then choose insulation thickness and creepage distances and select a test voltage according to applicable safety standards.

For basic insulation, you'll end up with at least 3000 V (4250 Peak) test voltage.

Instead of guessing about a possible working voltage from isolation test specifications, you would ask the manufacturer for devices suited for 1200 V working voltage, possibly with additional conditions as mentioned above.

Hi,

there are a lot of 5V/5V DC/DC converters around with extended isolation voltage.

Many manufacturers:
One example: Aimtec
AM1D-0505 are standart isolated DC DC converters with 1kV isolation voltage
AM1D-0505 H30 are 3kV isolated DC DC converters
AM1N-0505 H60 are 6kV isolated DC DC converters

But as said before you have to check local safety regulations.
You already recognized that 1kV isolation voltage in the datasheet does not mean that the device can be safley used with continous 1kV between input and output.

Klaus

Thank you both for your comments.
I found some information that may be helpful to others with the same question.
Isolation Test Voltage (V), Rated Working Voltage (V)
1000, 130
1500, 230
3000, 1100
6000, 3050
This is based on IEC950 standard.

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.