Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any method to dim the display backlight for a t6963?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Build-A-Burger

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a t6963 from EastRising working with a Pro Mini ATmega328p using this hookup:
ERM240128.png
The wires to LEDK and LEDA are separate wires from what goes to VDD and VSS. I was wondering if I could dim the display by using a pot with the middle connector going to LEDA. The pot going to Vee and Vo is for contrast.

Contrast setting and LED backlight are completely different things. To dim the LED backlight, you can e.g. connect a NMOSFET between LEDK and GND and apply a pwm signal to the gate. For manual control, try low ohmic series resistors (some 10 to several 100 ohms).

Base of the mosfet connects to PWM output. Drain to 5V and source to LEDA pin. LEDK pin connects to ground. Use a pot connected to ADC to adjust the PWM duty. by varying pot you will be able to adjust the backlight brightness.

Better to connect LEDA to +5V and put the transistor between LEDK and ground - it avoids problems with supplying enough PWM voltage.

Brian.

Reactions: Okada

Okada

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
BS170 will be enough.

NTK3134N.

BS170 will be enough.

NTK3134N.

NTK3134N is fine, BS170 (Rdson 2 - 5 ohm) will probably cause reduced brightness.

Reactions: Okada

Okada

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back