Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Which counter ic retains its previous value when the power goes off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INGLE.SHUBHAM

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which counter ic retains its prevous value when a power goes off

which counter ic will store the previous values when the power goes off and retains the same value when the power comes

this functionality is not performing well with 4017 counter ic so anybody known which ic can count and store the previous value

Re: which counter ic retains its prevous value when a power goes off

Rohm make one called BU70013TL but I'm not sure of it's exact characteristics. I think it may be for use in consumer water, gas and electricity meters so they retain the usage count if the power fails.

Other than that, you can quite easily emulate the 4017 with an MCU containing EEPROM or you can use battery back-up for a real 4017. Their current consumption is so low that a small battery or even a 'super cap' can run one for months.

Brian.

Hi,

How long power_off time do you expect?
The 4017 with a coin cell and a simple logic for count_inihit schould work.

Klaus

sir sorry for the late reply
im not using mc in my circuit i just want to store the status of cd4017 for more then 6 to 8 hours when the power goes and comes back

Hi,

A gold cap will have enough energy for some hours.

Other capacitors with low leakage current, too.

Read datasheet of 4017 on power supply current and lowest data retention voltage. Capacitor datasheets for leakage current.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.