Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build a basic FPGA board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Deeds

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Building PFGA board

Hi there,
I am thinking of building a basic FPGA boards like the simple ones of Xess..is there anyone there who can help me or guide me?

hi !
Do you want build the PCI board or a simple board with testpoints ?
I think you may ask questions, here were are a lot of skilled guys.

Best regards
vladz

There are many questions open?
- How large (or small) is an FPGA device that you want to use?
- What about the package (e.g. BGA)?
- Which FPGA family?
- What kind of components should be available on the board?
- and many more...

What features do you plan to put? You may need at least a 4-6 layer pcb, depending on the speed you need. If you plan to design a PCI board you can use a PCI bridge from PLX, unless your aim is not to develop PCI code. You can do the assembly yourself if you use a tqfp chip.
regards

I think that for a first approach you should forget about PCI: in this case you need to make working not only the pci IP, but also the driver. My suggestion is a medium size (100k-300k gates) FPGA, which can be found relativately easy and cheap:

A C E X or C Y C L O N E from @|ter@, or
S P A R T A N 2 E from X I L I | N X

- Don`t forget to get out all the pins
- Don`t forget clocking: try to use FPGA with PLL on board and have the possibility to introduce the external oscillator, via outside clock with a BNC or with something like a clock generator in the board if you don`t have PLL inside the FPGA. (Cypress for example, have some lots of them)
- Possibility to load the FPGA directly from external cable or loading an exteral EEPROM. You can also have the possibility to load from a uController.
- A fast memory on board could be also nice, as well as a flash.
- LEDS, jumpers.
- buttons for reset...
- An ethernet or serial port.

As you see, the board can be as easy or difficult as you want.
Regards

Hi Mr. Deeds

I think it would be useful to explain why you want to build such a board, instead of looking for an existing board. Building a new prototype board is quite an investment, and perhaps we can point you to something that satisfies what you want?

Of course, if you want to do it for a hobby, I'd try and go for a smaller FPGA, e.g. supported by Xilinx WebPack software (free).

Regards,
Vomit

Hi,

cesys, germany has interesting and good documented boards. Have a look:

hxxp://xxx.cesys.de/ebene2/download.htm

Here are some details

Hi all..
Thanks for ur valuable replies, here are some details...actually i want an FPGA_board basically for image processing related applications..i was working with the Xess Xs40.
I need to build a prototype board that enables some image processing applications..about the FPGA family, i think this would be application dependant but i think it will be from the XC family...I am confused about from where to start and the downloading protocol will it be available ..?

Thnks, Looking forward for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.