Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ZedBoard USB Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

expertengr

Hi, I have 12 bit data from temperature readout out system. The data can be taken in to the ZedBoard using I/O ports. I am wondering how to send this data to to USB port on ZedBoard, and which IP core is needed in this case ? also and on the computer side, how to read or see the data ? Do I need to write any software or Vivado provide something ?

Hi,

The developer has to decide this.

There are many different ways
* sending two 12 bit words as three 8 bit bytes needs the least uncompressed bit to transmit. But it is hard to receive and decode.
* sending one 12 bit word as two bytes is good to decode. Maybe 7bits LSB plus the MSBit = low in one byte, then the rest 5 bits and the MSBit = high. Easy to decode, but nit human readable.
* transferring the 12 bits into an ASCII string "1234" folowed by [Cr] [Lf] are 6 bytes to transmit, but human readable.
* and there are numerous other solutions.

Klaus

There are two "USB ports" on ZedBoard, USB UART and OTG. Which do you want to use?

Both interfaces can be controlled by the processor subsystem.

Thanks @KlausST and @FvM. Let's chose USB OTG. In this case which IP core is needed to configure ? also and on the computer side, how to read or see this data ? Do I need to write any application specific software to write or Vivado provide something ?

- - - Updated - - -

I just discover that USB OTG is not recommended for new design on ZedBoard because of timing incompatibility between the TUSB1210 PHY and Zynq. Therefore, I would like to use USB UART. Any idea which IP do I need to configure and what about software on PC end ? Is it possible to log the data using serial port terminal for example TeraTerm etc ?

Apart from USB communication I am wondering if there is ADC on the ZedBoard although it has analog header but I could not see any ADC. If there is ADC on board then I do not need to use external ADC with temperature readout system.

Hi,

also and on the computer side, how to read or see this data ? Do I need to write any application specific software to write or Vivado provide something ?
Until now you didn't give any description what you want to do on the PC side with the data.
So how can we know if you can use existing software or need to write your own software?

Is it possible to log the data using serial port terminal for example TeraTerm etc ?
Every brief description of TeraTerm answers ths question.

As written in post#2: it's a problem how you send the data. You can send it as non human readable binary or as human readable ASCII string.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back