Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filter Pole Placement and Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf44

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've seen examples of two different ways to approach a similar design problem

Say I'm desiging a SMPS and my requirement is for about 5khz of bandwidth.

Example 1 places the output LC poles close to 5khz and uses zeros in the control compensation to "step over" the LC crossover/resonance point (standard Type III compensation strategy) and maintain phase margin. The LC filter drives the system through zero at about 5khz and the control itself crosses 0db later, at say 30khz.

Example 2 reverses the above placing the LC crossover frequency at about 30khz and setting the control crossover at about 5khz. The control in this case drives the system through 0db and the filter follows later.

In theory, both can achieve the same bode plot of performance, but I'm not clear on what the other tradeoff might be?

All else being equal example 1 has simpler control it seems, while example 2 would have less output ripple due to the lower filter frequency (though parts might be larger to achieve that).

Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.