Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] FCC / IC / CE certification and bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

noccio31

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some questions about the FCC / IC / CE certification for new products. For me it's all new so I would like to understand what your experience are with this topic and if you know any way to avoid to go throught the process of FCC/IC/CE approvals or all the legal additional costs?

I prepered few question so I can clear my mind a little bit:

1) If I use a FCC certified chip, not a module, and I put the chip on my own pcb design, does it still need to have a separate FCC/IC/CE approvals?
2) If I use instead a FCC certified module, does it still need to have a separate FCC/IC/CE approvals? In case the approvals are already included can I branded with FCC/IC/CE certification?
This two cases are for chip with a protocol 802.15.4, Zigbee or similar not Bluetooth.

3) If I use a chip or module with communication Bluetooth do I have to purchase Declaration ID, if yes how much does it costs? If I don't need that the two last questions are the same for a Bluetooth?
4) In case I use a Bluetooth design can I avoid to go throught the FCC/IC/CE certification? The Bluetooth declaration included the FCC/IC/CE approvals, right?

What is the best way for money and time when you design a new product with a wireless communication?

Here is a link which answers several of your questions.

In brief, yes, just because you use an FCC approved module in your design, that doesn't mean that your design doesn't also need to be FCC approved/tested - it needs its own test approvals as it may radiate other emissions in other areas of the spectrum which make it noncompliant - or the way it is incorporated into the design may cause the approved module to exceed the limits. Your product has to identify that it includes the other FCC approved device, but it doesn't preclude the product from requiring its own certificates.

If you work with an approved lab (such as the one I link to below, they can inform you of what is needed depending upon the product category you have.
I am not affiliated in any way with this company, but they do have useful information.

https://www.metlabs.com/emc/module-approvals-for-us-canada-europe-japan-discussed-at-tcb-council-workshop/

Reactions: noccio31

noccio31

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ku637

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back