Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eb/N0 with no payload information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olstrom

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm student and I've been told that adding no payload symbols (no useful information) to a signal increases the BER. For example in OFDM, if I add a cyclic prefix to a useful information (in matlab add the end of the vector to the beginning) will increase the BER.

However, the BER is function of SNR. SNR equals to Signal power over noise power. Signal power equals to Es * Ds (Es = energy per symbol, Ds = symbol rate).
Since Es and Ds are still the same even if we add no payload information (e.g cyclic prefix) the BER should remain the same as well.
Does that mean Ds is the symbol data rate for payload data only ?

Also, is that right to say that Ds = 1 for simulation (in matlab) ?

Could you help me with this ?

Last edited:

I'm student and I've been told that adding no payload symbols (no useful information) to a signal increases the BER. For example in OFDM, if I add a cyclic prefix to a useful information (in matlab add the end of the vector to the beginning) will increase the BER.

Do you have a reference for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back