Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About short channel effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn07023

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if there anyone who knows that at what length the short channel effect will disappear

This question hasn't a simple answer.

For example, a mobility reduction due to carrier velocity saturation starts at electric fields higher than so called critical field equal to 0.8 MV/m and 1.95 MV/m for electrons and holes respectively. It means that for given channel length like 100nm it becomes important for Vds (or Vdsat for mosfets working in penthode region) higher than ca 80 or 195 mV. Similar DIBL is related with so called characteristic length varied with process but related also to Vds voltage.

Also, some SCE like mobility degradation caused by vertical field is related to gate oxide thickness so increasing channel length doesn't help with this.

This question hasn't a simple answer.

For example, a mobility reduction due to carrier velocity saturation starts at electric fields higher than so called critical field equal to 0.8 MV/m and 1.95 MV/m for electrons and holes respectively. It means that for given channel length like 100nm it becomes important for Vds (or Vdsat for mosfets working in penthode region) higher than ca 80 or 195 mV. Similar DIBL is related with so called characteristic length varied with process but related also to Vds voltage.

Also, some SCE like mobility degradation caused by vertical field is related to gate oxide thickness so increasing channel length doesn't help with this.

yeah. i read about those in the razavi. one of my homework ask me to find a length that SCE will not be a problem with the mos. so should i use SPICE to set the sweep of length v.s what kind of parameter so that i can find a length that will no cause SCE?

Last edited:

Run from process minimum to absurdly long, and look for where the
(say) IDsat vs 1/L curve breaks away from linear (pick a tolerance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back