Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED and Neon sign boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentsmith

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We need to design a sign board for our fashion store. When I researched about this, I came to know there are are LED and Neon sign boards for this purpose. Here I found some illuminated channel signs https://www.newstylesigns.com/blog/illuminated-channel-signs/10-amazing-illuminated-channel-signs/ .We need this to provide the information of our special offers and latest arrivals to our customers. Can somebody tell me which would be the better choice? What are the differences between these two? If it is possible, tell me about its maintenance and approximate charges of it.

Hi,

The signs shown in the link have a fixed shape. You can't change text.
But i think you need variable text when showing "special offers".

Only you know what sign you need.

Klaus

Traditional Neon signs are made by forming a glass tube to the shape of the logo or text, filling it with Neon gas then igniting it with a high voltage applied at each end. They can be cheaper than LED signs but can only be formed once. If the text changes you throw it away!

LED signs are more versatile, rather than being pre-formed characters, they normally use a matrix of LEDs which can be either turned on or off the make the font and characters you want. They use fairly complicated electronics and sometimes thousands of LEDs though so the price might be higher.

There is an attractive compromise that might be worth considering: You use a sheet of glass over a black background and surround it's edge with UV LEDs. The UV light isn't visible to the eye except for a pale purple color but if you write on the glass with flourescent marker pen, the writing glows brightly. It means you manually clean it and write new text if necessary but has the advantage of allowing any art you can draw and in any color you can get from the marker pen.

Brian.

Also consider a commonplace giant tv screen. Displays anything you can create on a computer. However they show up everywhere these days, so it will take some creativity to give it a stylish appearance when used in a fashion store.

Status
Not open for further replies.