Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

zener diode will protect the mcu from high voltage..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai,
I am beginner to circuit designs.In my hardware i would like to use zener diode for PIC MCU at power supply...
What is the use of zener diode and how it will protect the ic from voltage regulations..?
Sorry i cant get an clear idea from google...
Please explain it...

Simplest description:

You wire it across the supply line and place something (typically a resistor) in series with it to limit the current that can flow. It is wired so it normally doesn't conduct (positive to the cathode end) but the property of a Zener diode is it starts to conduct when a threshold voltage is reached, called the 'knee voltage'. You choose a suitable Zener diode that starts to conduct at the voltage you want to run your PIC from, say 4.7V or 5.1V and because it starts to conduct at that voltage and the current it can draw is limited, it stabilizes at the knee voltage. Less than that voltage stops it conducting, more than that voltage draws current and prevents the voltage going higher.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back