Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question of building a summer/subtractor circuit with a single op-amp and SPDT switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhl777

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All, I am building a switchable summer/subtractor circuit using a conventional opamp and MAX4855 SPDT with its integrated comparator.
This is my schematic. VDC1 is a user controllable DC input, it will be used to determine the logic high or low of the comparator, and will be used for the summing or subtraction. VDC2 is a second voltage source with a fixed DC level.
I build this circuit on board, VDC1 and VDC2 are in the correct levels, and the opamp itself was tested before connected with the other signals.However, when I connected everything together, and inject a VDC1, comparator shows the correct 1/0 logic, but the opamp does not work properly. The output of the output is either tied high or tied down, instead of generating the proper sum/subtract signal.
Would anyone give me some suggestion, if there is any practical problem in this cirucit? Or how should I investigate the root cause of the built circuit? Thank you!
spdt.jpg

For the summer circuit, did you intend R1 & R3 to be different values? This causes different weighting factors for your two voltages which you are comparing.

Another thing that can make a difference: VDC2 needs to be able to sink current coming from VDC1. If it is not able to, then you can't be sure of getting a correct summed voltage at the non-inverting input of your op amp.

Are there unseen/unknown resistances upstream from R1 & R3? Diodes, transistors, etc.? Something that might help is to install a resistor at the non-inverting input of the op amp.

Reactions: bhl777

bhl777

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.