Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between SER and FER

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmayna

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
please I want to know what is the difference between the Frame error rate(FER) and the symbole error rate(SER) ,if there is an exemple it is better.
then how we get the FER from the SER because I have a matlab code which calculate the SER and I don't know how can I calculate the FER from that.
thanks

FER captures the number of error in (N-symbol) frames, while SER captures the number of errors in (K-bit) symbols.

thanks for the response,
In fact I don't mean the difference in meaning ,I want the difference in use ,when we use one and when we use the other one?.In other way the equations of each one how I get the FER if I have the SER

thanks

For N-symbol frame, a frame will be in error if at least one symbol is in error. So, a frame will be in error if 1 symbol is, or 2 symbols, 3, 4, ..., or N symbols are in error. So, you can get FER from SER by summing up all possible symbol error combinations in the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.