+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 1

Helped
    2 / 2
    Level

Enclosure for electrnics

I dont have much things available where I am from so when I manage to build electronic circuits its always next to impossible to get an enclosure to for my project and when I search online its always so complex to get a simple enclosure (for me that is), if complexity isn't an issue then I would argue the pricing that I have found.

Is it possible to get cheap enclosures made for electronic items, couuld someone tell me an affordable and good site to try?

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    752 / 752
    Level

Re: Enclosure for electrnics

I have built things in plastic boxes that originally contained all kinds of different things.

I have used old computer cases to house several of my projects.

Recently I welded up a steel angle frame and used the cut down cover off an old microwave oven I found at the tip.

It does not have to be expensive, just use your imagination.
    Cheers, Tony.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    773 / 773
    Level

You should leave your characteristic signature - made by me - on the outside for the rest of the world to see. The inside should be top notch in quality.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    752 / 752
    Level

Thinking a bit more about this, just about every project I have built over the last few years has been put into metalwork that someone else has thrown away as rubbish. Only cost is maybe a spay can of paint.

There is a big dc power supply that I built into a very heavy steel rectangular box that originally had a burned out stick welder inside. The nice stainless steel crash handles are kitchen cupboard handles that only cost a few dollars.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supply.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	391.1 KB 
ID:	132067

And a high power battery desulphator I built into a bent and rusty old battery charger that was sitting on the side of the road. I even re used the original transformer, resprayed the transformer with black paint.
    I hammered out all the many dents and removed the rust with sandpaper, and resprayed the box the original colour.

All these projects have come out looking pretty reasonable, though still all very obviously home made.

Agree with the previous poster, the insides should be as good as you can make it.
    But the outside case can be recycled rubbish repainted and made to look nice.
    Cheers, Tony.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3560 / 3560
    Level

Hi,

Maybe you should rethink your engineering: if you spend five minutes before you produce your PCB, then you safe a lot of time later.

I have some cases in stock. And I have the PCB dimensions in my PCB layout software libraries as packages.
    It's only the first time when I use a new case to draw a package for the library instead of drawing lines directely in the PCB editor.
    Then every mounting hole is at it's place...and the PCB fits perfectely in a case.

The simplest is to use standard PCB sizes. Euro 160 x 100mm, or 100 × 100mm, or others..

Klaus

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator

Helped
    2571 / 2571
    Level

Pill box, vitamin box

Hot food take-out tray

Desk organizer tray

Recipe box, 3x5 card box, sewing kit box