Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to build charging circuit to my 12v 7.2AH battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

anilchowdary

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear brothers ,
I need little help , I have build a electric fence energizer , it runs by 12v 7.2ah battery , which I picked it from my computer ups , so I need that battery charger circuit from my 18v liner transformer , and I have a 12v 10w solar plate , can I charge my battery with my solar panels , is it possible , please give me those circuits
Regards

Anilchowdary

Hi,

there are plenty of ready to buy 12V solar battery chargers around. What´s wrong them?

Where do you see the difficulty?
You know how a solar panel works, you know how battery charging works... If not, then first read about it

What about a forum search? or just click on the links in the box below "similar threads"?

Klaus

I am from a small village , here I cont get such type devices ,and I don't know what's its called. If any devices availbul in online please suggest me

The aim is to prevent battery voltage from going over 13.8 volts or so. This simple zener and NPN regulator might be sufficient.

PV panel voltage varies according to how much current you draw from it. No-load maximum voltage could be 19V or more. Maximum current flows when charging a drained battery, around 11V.

When battery V rises to 13.5V or so it receives a trickle charge for the remainder of the charging session. You may need to adjust values so that it does not start 'gassing' (losing electrolyte). It depends on what behavior you observe.

This circuit lacks features such as hysteresis and taper charge. If you wish you can add these features with an op amp and more components.

Hi,

Maybe first and very important is to check what type of battery chemistry your 12v 7.2ah battery is (Lead Acid, Li-Ion, etc.?), read a bit or a lot online about how that kind of battery must be charged, then search online for battery charger circuits, if you look for online shops, most will deliver (and "free" of delivery costs over a certain amount), so it doesn't matter if you live in central New York or in a remote village in Kashmir :)

A member here usually recommends "Battery University" website for learning about batteries and charging.

I think that a 12V battery needs to be able to be charged up to 13.4 or similar volts, so you'd need a boost converter to raise the solar panels output to about 14V for charging.

Maybe there are electronic circuit and component retailers in Hyderabad who deliver to your area, if Digikey or RS-Online, Mouser, etc. are not an option for you.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.